Rehabbing Gibbs selected for South African ODI, T20 teamDecember 22nd, 2008 - 3:23 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 22 (ANI): South African opener Herschelle Gibbs, who is undergoing rehabilitation for alcohol abuse, has been selected in the squad to play five one-dayers and two Twenty20 matches against Australia.
He is expected to complete his program in early January, and was on Monday named in a 15-man squad.
Gibbs will complete a period of rehabilitation for alcohol abuse in time to join the Proteas one-day squad for next years series against Australia.
Gibbs, a veteran of 90 Tests and 234 one-day internationals, began a month-long rehabilitation program after he was thrown out of the national squad for breaking a team curfew in November, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Most members of the South African Test squad were retained in the one-day squad.
Barring changes to the squad, batsmen Ashwell Prince and Neil McKenzie, spinners Paul Harris and Robin Peterson and paceman Monde Zondeki will be those who return home from the Test squad after the third Test in Sydney.
Australia and South Africa will play in Twenty20 matches in Melbourne (January 11) and Brisbane (January 13) and one-dayers in Melbourne (January 16), Hobart (January 18), Sydney (January 23), Adelaide (January 26) and Perth (January 30).
South African one-day squad: Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Wayne Parnell, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld. (ANI)
- Ex-Proteas opener Gibbs was a loner, claims Coach Arthur - Nov 03, 2010
- South Africa recalls Botha, Tsotsobe for Test series against India - Jan 19, 2010
- Tahir makes the cut in South Africa's ODI squad - Jan 06, 2011
- 12 Indians sign up for Sri Lankan Premier League - May 16, 2011
- India, Proteas in series face-off on batsman, spin friendly Cape Town pitch - Jan 01, 2011
- Amla recalled to SA's Twenty20 squad - Dec 29, 2010
- Munaf achieves career-best figures at Wanderers (Match highlights) - Jan 16, 2011
- Tsotsobe claims four wickets, India bowled out for 190 - Jan 15, 2011
- South Africa to bat against India - Jan 18, 2011
- Watson hits record 15 sixes as Aussies thrash Bangladesh in Dhaka ODI - Apr 11, 2011
- Five South African one-day specialists arrive - Feb 14, 2010
- Gibbs likely to play domestic cricket in Australia - Sep 22, 2010
- South Africa to bat first - Jan 12, 2011
- Melbourne ODI could be marred by Cup, bad weather, poor Oz player form - Nov 02, 2010
- Marsh stars as Scorchers thrash Renegades - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: ab de villiers, alcohol abuse, ashwell prince, dale steyn, graeme smith, hashim amla, herschelle gibbs, jacques kallis, johan botha, makhaya ntini, man squad, mark boucher, monde zondeki, morne morkel, neil mckenzie, play five, robin peterson, sydney morning herald, team sydney, test squad