Regrowing hair in bald people may soon be realityAugust 4th, 2008 - 7:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 4 (ANI): Heres some good news for those who fear turning bald with every strand of hair they lose US scientists have successfully pinpointed a molecule that triggers hair follicle growth in mice, paving way for a treatment to regrow hair in humans who experience hair loss.
The Stanford University researchers said that the molecule, called laminin-511, acts like an operator, transferring messages, or proteins, between the outer and inner layers of skin, an exchange that ultimately drives hair formation.
It is expected that laminin-511 could potentially regenerate the actual follicles that grow hair, unlike existing products that slow hair loss.
Loss of hair is not going to kill anybody. At the same time, for some people, hair loss can be a really traumatic thing, especially for women,” said Dr. Peter Marinkovich, the study’’s senior author and an associate professor at Stanford University’’s School of Medicine.
He believes that the treatment could ultimately help patients who suffer from alopecia, a disorder that can cause hair loss in patches, or speed up hair growth for chemotherapy patients.
In fact, researchers also believe that the molecule might have the ability to regenerate other developing tissues, like limbs or evenorgans; but further tests are necessary to understand exactly how that process works.
In the study, mice injected with the purified molecule grew back hair in two weeks, at half the thickness of a normal rodent.
The study is published in the issue of the Journal of Genes and Development. (ANI)
- Hope for baldness cure - Apr 30, 2012
- Discovery to help balding men regrow hair - Jun 26, 2012
- Coming soon: Cloned hair follicles to cure baldness! - May 01, 2011
- Genetic discovery could lead to baldness cure - Jul 02, 2010
- Scientists identify new gene in hair loss - Apr 15, 2010
- Male pattern balding 'due to stem cell inactivation' - Jan 05, 2011
- Boffins identify genes contributing to skin disease that triggers hair loss - Jul 05, 2010
- Zebrafish holds hope for deafness - Sep 05, 2011
- Hope for balding men - Mar 22, 2012
- A stem cell cure for bald pates - Dec 20, 2010
- Excessive protein in scalp linked to male baldness - Apr 01, 2012
- A cure for baldness 'could be available in 5 years' - Dec 16, 2010
- Novel hydrogel regenerates burnt skin tissues - Dec 14, 2011
- Scientists accidentally discover possible cure for hair loss - Feb 17, 2011
- Hair loss drug may result in loss of libido in men - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: 511, associate professor, cause hair loss, chemotherapy, chemotherapy patients, dr peter, existing products, follicles, genes and development, hair follicle growth, hair formation, hair growth, inner layers, layers of skin, loss of hair, molecule, New Delhi, rodent, school of medicine, stanford university researchers