Red Knights’ Manchester United takeover bid shelvedMay 30th, 2010 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 30(ANI): The Red Knights consortium, a group of wealthy Manchester United fans, has reportedly shelved a takeover bid for the club, following the Florida-based Glazer family’s 1.5 billion pound price tag.
The group had been expected to lodge a formal offer for Manchester United before the start of next month’s World Cup.
The Glazers are said to value Manchester United at 1.5 billion pounds, and last week insisted again that the club was not for sale.
Sources close to the consortium, led by Jim O’Neill, Chief Economist at Goldman Sachs, said the valuation had deterred many potential consortium members.
“They wanted 1.5 billion pounds, but the consortium was looking at between 950 million and one billion pounds. With Sir Alex Ferguson [Manchester United manager] rumoured to be close to retirement, little money spent on players recently and the club’s debts increasing, there was a lot more downside than upside,” Timesonline quoted one source, as saying.
“There have been meetings in the past few days, but there is unlikely to be a bid in the foreseeable future,” another source added.A statement on the future of the bid is expected this week after a meeting of the consortium in London.
The decision will come as a blow to Manchester United fans, who had pinned their hopes on the Glazers being ousted.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust, which is organizing protests against the family, had given its formal backing to the Red Knights campaign. (ANI)
- Man United fans asked to donate 25 pounds each to help Red Knights buy club - Mar 27, 2010
- Glazer Family rules out selling Manchester United - Mar 02, 2010
- Red Knights likely to wrest control of Man U from Glazers bu June - Mar 21, 2010
- Red Knights not to offer more than 1-bn dollars to Man U owners - May 11, 2010
- Man U owners Glazer family denies meeting Red Knights - Apr 15, 2010
- Red Knights give up dream to buy Man U - Jun 02, 2010
- Qatari royal family to make fresh 1.5 billion pound bid for Man U - Feb 25, 2011
- Glazers snub 1.5 billion pound bid for Manchester United - May 07, 2010
- Qatar Amir close to buyung Manchester United - Feb 11, 2011
- Ferguson 'supporting bid to buy Manchester United': City financiers - Mar 07, 2010
- Man U denies it has received a bid offer from Qatar - Jan 24, 2011
- Glazers family all set to sell Manchester United - Dec 22, 2010
- Aston Villa star Milner eager to join Manchester City - Jul 23, 2010
- Unpopular Glazers vow to hang on to Man U for the long-term - Feb 26, 2011
- Far East businessmen collect billion pounds to buy Man U - Dec 13, 2009
Tags: alex ferguson, chief economist, consortium members, downside, foreseeable future, glazer family, glazers, goldman sachs, knights, manchester united supporters, manchester united takeover, million and one, o neill, one billion pounds, price tag, protests, sir alex ferguson, takeover bid, timesonline, world cup