Record field listed for Berlin world athelticsAugust 9th, 2009 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Aug 9 (DPA) A record field of 2,101 athletes from 202 countries is entered provisionally for the upcoming 12th World Athletics Championships in Berlin, the ruling body International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) said Sunday.
The IAAF said that 1,154 men and 947 women will compete for 47 gold medals at the Aug. 15-23 championships in the Olympic Stadium.
The current record is 1,821 athletes from 202 countries competing at the 1999 worlds in Seville, Spain.
The official start lists for Berlin are released Thursday.
The official IAAF statistics are based on the number of athletes who did participate.
Highest demand is in the shortest and longest men’s running event. Superstar Usain Bolt and title holder Tyson Gay lead 100 entries for the 100m, and the marathon race has even attracted 101 entries.
- Bolt has class to become an icon like Owens, feels Diack - Aug 09, 2009
- Bolt disqualified for false start in 100m in Daegu; Blake wins - Aug 28, 2011
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- Bolt, Blake make shortlist for Athlete-of-the-Year award - Nov 05, 2011
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
- World atheletics: Jamaican quartet claim 4x100 relay record - Sep 05, 2011
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Bolt confirmed for Weltklasse Zurich - May 17, 2012
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt leads Jamaica to record sprint relay gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Asafa Powell says he is favourite to win World title - Aug 25, 2011
- Bolt escapes unhurt in a minor car crash - Jun 11, 2012