Real Madrid setting its eyes on Man U’s Ronaldo againMarch 29th, 2009 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.29 (ANI): Spanish football club Real Madrid continue to be attracted by the prospect of securing Manchester United’s Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo, a player who has become World and European Footballer of the Year since they last tried to sign him.The Spanish giants have said that they will be back in the close season with a renewed passion and an 100 million pound package to try to entice club and player.The Real key figure has changed but the aim remains the same. Former president Ramon Calderon has left centre stage, ousted in a vote-rigging scandal during club elections last year.The contest to replace him is already under way with Florentina Perez ready to stand for office, three years after leaving his Bernabeu seat of power.
Perez wants to bring the glamour and Galacticos back to the Spanish capital and Ronaldo’s name is the top one on his election ticket.
So, too, is the Brazilian superstar Kaka - another 100 million pound target - while Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas has also been linked but is more likely to be attracted to his former club Barcelona.Perez will not present his package to the Real electorate until all his potential signings are in place.
But he is convinced he will see off any rival candidates and win the keys to the boardroom.
Steven Gerrard was to be his third star capture but the Liverpool skipper has kicked that idea into the long grass by pledging the rest of his career to the Anfield club.
Ex-president Calderon recently told a Spanish radio station that his legacy to the club was to have clinched Ronaldo’s arrival this summer. And the winger’s international teammate and Real defender Pepe believes he is on his way to Spain.
Pepe said: “Cristiano wants to play in the Santiago Bernabeu. I would love him to join Madrid. He has already said that he wants to come and I hope that next season he is with us.”
A Spanish source told Sport of the World: “There is a cleverly conceived plan in place for Cristiano to join Real.
United has been drawing up a new deal that could earn him up to 200,000-pounds-a-week as a reward for his status as the world’s best player. (ANI)
- Atletico Madrid to host Barca-Bilbao Copa del Rey final - Feb 25, 2012
- Madrid eyes Wenger, Loew after fallout with Mourinho - Jan 25, 2012
- Real Madrid to make 20 million pound bid for Vidic - Dec 30, 2009
- Chelsea now eyeing to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka - Mar 06, 2011
- Ronaldo predicts all-Spanish final - Apr 07, 2012
- 'I don't think Rooney would want to join me at Bernabeu,' says Ronaldo - Apr 18, 2010
- Real Madrid to use Ronaldo as bait for bagging Rooney - Apr 17, 2010
- Di Maria's hamstring injury a blow to Real Madrid - Nov 07, 2011
- Ferguson dismisses talks of Ronaldo moving to Real Madrid - Apr 20, 2009
- Real Madrid face Valencia test in La Liga - Nov 18, 2011
- Alcoholism nearly cost Cicinho his career - Aug 02, 2012
- Real Madrid eyeing spectacular 150 million pound swoop for Rooney, wants Capello back too - Apr 16, 2010
- Man U to offer massive new contract to Rooney - Jan 24, 2010
- Real Madrid bring in "super agent" Zahavi for Rooney swoop - Jan 23, 2010
- Real Madrid to offer Ronaldo 200k pounds a week - May 19, 2009
Tags: anfield, cesc fabregas, club barcelona, club elections, club real madrid, cristiano ronaldo, european footballer of the year, florentina, football club real, footballer of the year, pound package, ramon calderon, rival candidates, spanish capital, spanish football, spanish radio station, steven gerrard, target, third star, vote rigging