Real Madrid on spending spree, now offers eight million pounds for ArbeloaJune 13th, 2009 - 3:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 13 (ANI): Real Madrid are set to increase their spending spree, after an eight million pounds offer for Liverpool’s Alvaro Arbeloa.
There is even speculation the Spanish billionaires will bid 15 million pounds for Chelsea’s Ashley Cole to keep him away from Barcelona.
Just 24 hours after agreeing an 80 million pounds fee for Cristiano Ronaldo, Real president Florentino Perez contacted Liverpool with the official bid for right-back Arbeloa.
The Spain ace, 26, was a key player in Kop boss Rafa Benitez’s team last season.
But Benitez will struggle to resist Madrid’s offer after being told he needs to sell before he can make any major signings this summer, The Sun reports.
Arbeloa actually started his career at Real but played just two games for the club before moving to Deportivo La Coruna.
He was signed by Liverpool for 3 million pounds in January 2007 and Madrid is well aware of Liverpool’s mounting financial problems, and convinced that they can prise Arbeloa back to Spain.
Having spent 62 million pounds on Brazilian superstar Kaka and agreeing Ronaldo’s switch, Madrid are now turning their attentions to their defence. And they could snatch England ace Cole from Chelsea. (ANI)
- Liverpool confirm sale of Arbeloa to Real Madrid - Jul 29, 2009
- Real Madrid' set for spectacular 30-mn pound swoop for Steven Gerrard - Oct 24, 2009
- Silva next target for Real Madrid - Jul 02, 2009
- Benitez tipped to become new Real Madrid boss - Mar 12, 2010
- Essien late arrival but little cash spent in Spain - Sep 01, 2012
- Torres if leaves Liverpool will become world's most expensive footballer - Jan 03, 2010
- Money not the root of my sadness: Ronaldo - Sep 05, 2012
- Splashing cash has hit Liverpool's title dream: Rafa - Aug 15, 2009
- Cristiano Ronaldo arrives in Madrid for Real presentation - Jul 06, 2009
- 40,000 fans welcome Kaka to Real Madrid - Jul 01, 2009
- Real Madrid's 43-mn pound Operation Cesc for Gunners' skipper Fabregas - Jan 08, 2010
- Cristiano Ronaldo welcomed to Madrid by 85,000 fans - Jul 07, 2009
- Easy win for Real Madrid against 10-man Racing - Feb 19, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Chelsea now eyeing to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka - Mar 06, 2011