Ravindra Jadeja will be top draw in IPl auctionFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 3 (IANS) India all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja will be the top draw when some 144 players from 11 countries go under the hammer at Saturday’s auction for the 2012 Indian Premier League (IPL).
The nine league franchises have been allowed to spend an additional $2 million as their squad strengths have been increased from 30 to 33, but no more than 30 players out of 144 on auction are expected to be bought.
Jadeja, who has a base value of $100,000, was bought by terminated Kochi Tuskers last year for $950,000. But after his match-winning performance Friday in the second Twenty20 international in Australia, he is expected to go past the $1 million mark.
The Kochi franchise was terminated by the Indian cricket board last year after they defaulted on an annual bank guarantee of Rs.156 crore. All the players of the Kochi team have been put on auction.
Among them Vinay Kumar and Parthiv Patel could also be in demand while Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene and Kiwi opener Brendon McCullum are expected to be big catch.
Jayawardene, who captained the Kochi Tuskers, may not fetch the $1.3 million price that Kochi paid for him but the Indian cricket board has assured him that it would honour any difference between the new contract and the old one.
Retired Sri Lankan spin legend Muttiah Muralitharan, who is playing in New Zealand domestic Twenty20 competition, could be a gamble for teams since he featured in just five out of 14 games for Kochi last season. He was bought for $1.1 million.
Another veteran player who might struggle to get a buyer could be V.V.S. Laxman, who has a base price of $400,000. He played just three of Kochi’s 14 games last season.
- Super Kings snap Jadeja for $2 m, Vinay Kumar goes for $1 m(Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Jadeja, Vinay Kumar, Jayawardene top draws at IPL auction (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- IPL windfall for Jadeja, Vinay Kumar, Jayawardene (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2012
- Super Kings bag Jadeja for $2 m in IPL Auction - Feb 04, 2012
- 8 Indians, 32 Australians, 30 South Africans for IPL-5 auction - Jan 30, 2012
- Sahara pullout as BCCI sponsor overshadows IPL auction - Feb 04, 2012
- Kochi Tuskers keen on Ganguly if Jayawardene leaves - Apr 20, 2011
- Great to be a part of home team, says Sreesanth - Jan 08, 2011
- IPL-4: Ganguly, Gayle unsold; Gambhir fetches record price - Jan 08, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Gambhir top grosser; No takers for Lara, Ganguly (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Delhi Daredevils appoint Jayawardene vice-captain - Feb 22, 2012
- Old guard out to make a statement in IPL - Apr 12, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Lara goes unsold; Gambhir remains top grosser - Jan 08, 2011
- Will Dada pad up for Kochi IPL? - Jan 21, 2011
- New captains will bring fresh ideas in IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: 1 million, bank guarantee, base price, brendon mccullum, franchise, franchises, honour, indian cricket board, jadeja, kiwi, mahela jayawardene, muralitharan, new contract, parthiv patel, premier league, rounder, tuskers, twenty20 international, v v s laxman, veteran player