Raul breaks Di Stefano record for Real MadridFebruary 16th, 2009 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 16 (DPA) After 45 years, Raul broke the goals record of Alfredo Di Stefano by leading Real Madrid to a 4-0 romp away to Sporting Gijon at the Spanish football league.
Di Stefano scored 307 league goals for Real between 1953 and 1964, but after Sunday’s win Raul is now on 309 after his two goals in Gijon.
It was Real’s eighth straight win, and leaves them 10 points behind record-breaking leaders Barcelona, who did well to battle out a 2-2 draw away to lively Betis Saturday.
Raul broke the club record after just 15 minutes in Gijon in trademark poacher fashion, stabbing in a cross-shot from Sergio Ramos.
In the 38th minute Klaas Jan Huntelaar - starting the game because of injury to fellow Dutchman Arjen Robben - made it 2-0 with his first goal for Real, after being set up by Gonzalo Higuain.
Five minutes into the second half, Higuain set up left-back Marcelo to make it 3-0 with a clever chip.
And 13 minutes from time Raul made it 309 goals by turning in the rebound after Gijon keeper Inaki Lafuente had spilled a shot from the omnipresent Higuain.
“We are all really pleased for Raul,” said Higuain. “He has been a wonderful asset to this club for so many years.”
Sunday’s other big news was Sevilla’s late 2-0 win away to bottom team Espanyol, which takes them up to third.
Sevilla are now nine points behind Real. They beat Espanyol - who had Lola Smiljanic sent off - thanks to two late goals from Frederic Kanoute, both of them set up by the excellent Jesus Navas.
Sevilla are three points above Valencia - who were held to a 1-1 home draw on Saturday by sixth-placed Malaga - and Villarreal, who could only draw 1-1 away to Racing Santander.
The towering Nikola Zigic gave Santander the lead in the 25th minute, Santi Cazorla levelled for Villarreal just before half-time. Atletico Madrid are joint sixth with Malaga - two points behind.
Valencia and Villarreal - after a disappointing 1-1 home draw against Getafe in Sunday’s late game.
Diego Forlan gave Atletico the lead, only for Juan Albin - who had just put a penalty over the bar - to equalize for Getafe with just three minutes left.
“We are really annoyed,” said Forlan, “at having thrown away two points right at the end.”
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Valencia hold Barcelona to 2-2 draw - Sep 22, 2011
- Real Madrid top La Liga as Barcelona held - Oct 23, 2011
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
- Mallorca ahead of Sevilla in battle for fourth place - Feb 08, 2010
- Real Madrid held by Osasuna, stay in second place - Jan 04, 2010
- Ronaldo scores two for Real but is sent off again - Jan 25, 2010
- Real Madrid come from behind to win against Mallorca - Jan 15, 2012
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
Tags: 45 years, alfredo di stefano, arjen robben, betis, dutchman, espanyol, frederic kanoute, jesus navas, league goals, madrid madrid, nikola, racing santander, real madrid, romp, santi, sergio ramos, smiljanic, spanish football league, sporting gijon, villarreal