Ratnika upsets fifth seed Scimone in ITF tournamentJune 14th, 2011 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) India’s Ratnika Batra overcame a second-set slump to upstage fifth-seeded Italian Stephani Scimone 7-5, 0-6, 6-3 in the first round of the $10,000 ITF women’s tournament at the DLTA complex here Tuesday.
On a hot, windy summer afternoon the 16-year-old, with her big serve and decent groundstrokes, overcame her opponent in the first set but failed to hold even her service games in the second.
The Delhi girl, however, came back strongly in the decider and broke Scimone for a 3-1 lead and thereafter it was a matter of holding her serve. She next plays compatriot and doubles partner Rutuja Bhosale who showed South Africa’s Tegan Edwards the door.
On the adjacent court, Rishika Sunkara, hitting fluent groundstrokes, rallied to make it a set-all against third-seeded Mexican Nadia Abdala but ran out of steam in the decider to lose 5-7, 6-2, 0-6.
After a closely fought first set, the Mexican’s stream of unforced errors allowed Rishika to claw her way back. After an early exchange of breaks, the Indian broke Nadia in the fifth and the seventh game to push the issue to a third set.
However, Rishika’s weak serve proved her undoing, with Nadia pouncing on her weak second serve. Rishika, who failed to hold her own serve, had a couple of opportunities to break Nadia’s serve early in the set.
Nadia now plays Turkmenistan’s Anastasiya Prenko, who defeated Ankita Bhatia of India 6-3, 6-2.
In other opening round matches, Indian wildcard Aishwarya Agrawal wasted five match points before losing 4-6, 7-5, 6-0 to Australia’s Lauren Breadmore.
Top seed Keren Shlomo made short work of her match against Siru He of China, beating her 6-0, 6-2, while second-seeded Rushmi Chakravarthi of India defeated qualifier S. Chamarthi 6-3, 6-1.
Eighth-seeded Prerna Bhambri of India, too, had it easy against wildcard Tarrannum Handa, winning 6-3, 6-1.
- Rishika sails into ITF tournament's second round - Jun 20, 2011
- Rutuja in ITF women's quarterfinals - Jun 22, 2011
- Rushmi shocked, Ratnika rallies to beat Ashvarya in ITF tourney - Jun 21, 2011
- Rutuja beats Ratnika to enter ITF tournament quarters - Jun 15, 2011
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
- Naik, Raina advance in Asian Junior Championships - May 24, 2010
- Prerna upsets Rushmi in Delhi ITF - May 10, 2011
- Reddy ousts Bhosale in Chennai ITF tourney - Sep 07, 2011
- Yuki sails into ITF second round - Jun 06, 2011
- Indian challenge ends in ITF tennis - Mar 07, 2012
- Three Indians make main draw in ITF Open - Mar 18, 2012
- Indian challenge over with Prerna losing tamely - Jun 17, 2011
- Prerna, Ankita only Indians to advance to quarterfinals - May 11, 2011
- Kyra Shroff stuns third seed in ITF tennis - Mar 20, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: abdala, agrawal, aishwarya, anastasiya, batra, bhatia, compatriot, decider, fifth seed, match points, nadia, rushmi chakravarthi, service games, shlomo, stephani, summer afternoon, tegan, unforced errors, windy summer, winning 6