Rare Stradivarius violin could fetch up to $1.5m at NYC auctionMarch 29th, 2008 - 1:18 pm ICT by admin
London, Mar 29 (ANI): An 18th century Stradivari violin is expected to fetch as much as 1.5 million dollars at an auction in New York.
The rare violin, known as “The Penny,” is named after its previous owner, the pianist and violinist Barbara Penny, the first woman accepted in the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra strings section.
The violin will go under the hammer at Christie’s auction house on April 4.
“This one has an especially good balance between the brightness and the sweetness,” BBC quoted Jesus Reina, a violinist from the Manhattan School of Music, as saying.
In 2006, another 1729 Stradivari violin, known as the Hammer fetched 3.5m dollars, also at an auction at Christie’s.
Antonio Stradivari is considered to be the most distinguished craftsman of the instrument who had made over 1,000 violins, violas and violoncellos.
He was commissioned by King James II of England and King Charles III of Spain. (ANI)
- Stradivarius violin to be sold for Japan tsunami victims' relief - May 03, 2011
- Zubin Mehta keen to perform in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 23, 2012
- US pianist Van Cliburn's art collection on sale - Feb 24, 2012
- Fazer to launch talent hunt - Aug 28, 2012
- Medals of soldier who fled in nude from Colditz up for grabs - May 04, 2011
- South Asian musicians present Beethoven for flood-hit Pakistan - Feb 01, 2011
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- Star spangled banner copy sells for $506,500 - Dec 06, 2010
- Child prodigy performs with Mexican philharmonic - Mar 06, 2012
- Pt. Ravi Shankar Presents His First Western Symphony In London - Jul 03, 2010
- Pianist and jazz promoter Billy Taylor dies aged 89 - Dec 30, 2010
- Dennis Hopper's art fetches $10mn at auction - Nov 15, 2010
- Dennis Hopper artwork expected to fetch $13m at auction - Sep 22, 2010
- Rare penny set to sell for $300,000 - Dec 30, 2009
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait sells for $17 million - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: 18th century, 5m, antonio stradivari, april 4, auction house, charles iii of spain, christie, craftsman, first woman, james ii of england, king james ii of england, manhattan school of music, pianist, reina, royal philharmonic orchestra, school of music, stradivarius violin, sweetness, violinist, violins