Rangarajan leads field in chess meetMay 28th, 2012 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Pondicherry, May 28 (IANS) Local star L. Rangarajan scalped top seed K. Gunasekaran to lead the field with 7.0 points after the seventh round of the third KACC International FIDE Rating chess tournament (below 2200) here Monday.
Half a point behind the leader was 14-year old Kumaran at 6.5 points. Eight other players are crowded in the 6.0 point bracket.
In the crucial top board game, Rangarajan, playing with white pieces, exploited the weaknesses in higher rated Gunasekaran’s Kann defence. He gained an exchange advantage in the middle and won the game converting his advantage in style.
In another interesting game, Chennai boy B Kumaran played his Ruy Lopez game against Ramakrishna Perumalla of Andhra Pradesh with dynamism. Shuffling his knights and paving way for his queen, Kumaran entered black’s kingside.
Before Ramakrishna could re-group his defences, Kumaran tore through the king’s shelter and sewed up the game with a bishop check. Faced with checkmate and further loss of material, Ramakrishna resigned.
Three more rounds remain to be played in this ten round Swiss event that concludes Tuesday.
Important Results (Round 7): L Rangarajan (Pon) 7 bt K Gunasekaran (TN) 5.5, B Kumaran (TN) bt Ramakrishna Perumalla (AP) 5.5, T S Nanda Kumar (TN) 6 bt R Abdul Azeem (TN) 5, P Elancheralathan (TN) 6 bt M Siddarth (TN) 5, M Vijay Anand (TN) 6 bt S Suresh Krishna (Pon) 5, John George Varughese (Singapore) 4 bt D V Rajarajan (TN) 3.
- Linda pockets chess title - May 29, 2012
- Kumaran joins leaders in chess tournament - May 27, 2012
- Salim stops Jayavel, snatches lead in chess tourney - Oct 08, 2011
- Mugil Jayavel moves into sole lead in chess tournament - Oct 07, 2011
- Mary Ann pockets title in National Chess - Nov 09, 2011
- Tania moves into sole lead in women's national chess - Nov 02, 2011
- Mary Ann takes lead in national chess - Nov 07, 2011
- Padmini shocks Tania to take lead in women's national chess - Nov 03, 2011
- Schoolboy Jayavel bags chess title - Oct 10, 2011
- Tania wins in 38 moves in National Premier chess - Nov 01, 2011
- Mary Ann retains lead with a draw in National chess - Nov 08, 2011
- Vaibhav Suri among leaders in Chennai Open chess - Jan 07, 2012
- Chennai Open chess: Pandian upsets GM Gomez - Jan 08, 2012
- Four share lead in National Premier chess - Oct 30, 2011
- Mhamal takes chess lead - May 01, 2012