Randy Smith dies at 60June 5th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by GD
“Iron Man” Randy Smith died in Connecticut on Thursday. He was not suffering from any illness recently so the death came as a shock to his family, friends and fans. Randy, who played for Buffalo Braves, was a very popular hero for all of Buffalo. Indeed, his fans do extend beyond the limits of Buffalo as well.
Smith was working out as per his usual routine on a treadmill in his home in Norwich when he suddenly had a fatal heart attack. Randy’s former teammate Durie Burns said that he was “very shocked”. Durie and his wife were with Randy when he celebrated his mother’s 78th birthday in North Carolina not too long ago.
Dick Bihr, former coach of men’s basketball in Buffalo said that it was unbelievable that a “special athlete” like Randy could just “pass away like that.” Dick also observed that Randy was “a special guy” who “could do just about everything.”
Randy had arrived in Buffalo as long back as 1967 to compete in a state high school track meet. He set a state record for high jump, and went on to be recruited as a state soccer player for Buffalo. It was only in 1971 that his basketball career started. For 12 seasons in a row that included 906 games, he did not miss a single NBA game. Within two years of his basketball career Randy was already a star, exciting his Buffalo fans more and more in each succeeding game.
After retiring from active sports Randy joined NBA as a director of Playing Programs and did his job rather well. He is survived by his family which includes his wife, Anjela, his daughter, and his two sons.
- NBA 2K12 to be available on PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Wii & PC - Oct 05, 2011
- Former Charlotte Hornets coach Dick Harter dies - Mar 14, 2012
- NBA legend Abdul-Jabbar pays visit to Flamengo - Jan 28, 2012
- Yi Jianlian to carry flag for China in London - Jul 26, 2012
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- NBA side Washington Wizards sack coach Saunders - Jan 25, 2012
- Indian basketball coaches on US tour - Feb 19, 2012
- David Thompson To Host Jordan's Hall Of Fame Induction - Sep 08, 2009
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Kobe Bryant Elected As The NBA Player Of The Decade - Feb 15, 2010
- After China, NBA sets sight on India to promote basketball - Sep 11, 2010
- O.J. Mayo Suspended After Testing Positive For DHEA - Jan 28, 2011
- Knicks end six-game losing streak after D'Antoni's resignation - Mar 15, 2012
- Jared Lee Loughner's Parents To Release Statement, Neighbor Says - Jan 11, 2011
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: active sports, athlete, basketball career, bihr, buffalo braves, buffalo fans, burns, family friends, fatal heart, former coach, former teammate, heart attack, high jump, iron man, nba game, norwich, randy smith, soccer player, state soccer, treadmill