Rana takes lead in LG Amateur golfJune 10th, 2008 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 10 (IANS) Vikram Rana took the solitary lead with a first round score of 2-under par 70 at the LG Southern India Amateur golf tournament at the Eagleton Golf Resort near here Tuesday. Chasing the leader was the trio of Tarun Ghogale, Rashid Khan and Arshdeep Tiwana who played contrasting rounds and yet returned the same score of 1-under 71 and were tied for the second place. As many as six players - Abhinav Lohan, Aditya Bhandarkar, Gagan Verma, Jasjeet Singh, Saurav Bahuguna and Siddharth Seth - were tied for the fifth place at level par 72.
Local boy top ranked Abhishek Jha was languishing in 20th position after a round of 3-over 75 while another promising lad Chikkarangappa was tied for the 14th place after shooting a 74.
Rana who began from the tenth hole, made early inroads with birdies on the 11th and 13th courtesy some good approach shots. However two consecutive bogeys on the next two holes undid all his good work. From then on the 30-year-old maintained his nerve and made three straight pars to take the turn at level par.
He began his back nine with a flourish where he made back to back birdies on the par-5 opening hole and the par-4 second. A slight mistake on the par-3 third cost him a stroke but that was the end of mistakes as he parred his way home while adding a birdie on the short par-4 eighth.
“It was excellent weather out there. The roughs are up but the greens are playing very true,” said Rana. “I made some foolish bogeys where I three-putted on the 15th and the third; otherwise I could have gone deeper into the round,” added the youngster from New Delhi.
- Chadha moves to top, Chikka lying second at Inter State Golf - Jun 16, 2011
- Chikka stays in lead at Samarvir Sahi golf - Feb 29, 2012
- Gagan takes lead in Southern India Amateur golf - Jun 12, 2008
- Smriti fires 66 to win golf title - Aug 30, 2012
- Rashid, Rahul share lead at LG Amateur - Nov 24, 2009
- Smriti, Rhea and Sharmila start well at European golf pre-qualifiers - Jan 09, 2012
- Hedwall wins Women's Indian Open golf, Sharmila top Indian - Dec 11, 2011
- Chikka leads Jasjit by three shots in Samarvir Sahi golf - Feb 28, 2012
- Two shot lead for Arjun Sharma in North India golf - Mar 13, 2012
- Mehar Atwal wins Southern India Ladies golf title - Sep 22, 2011
- Magical Mcllroy wins Hong Kong Open golf - Dec 04, 2011
- Chikka rallies in final round; wins individual, team Inter-state golf titles - Jun 17, 2011
- Rashid opens with 71 in Asian Amateur golf - Oct 29, 2009
- Digvijay Singh wins Panasonic Open India - Apr 01, 2012
- Chikka moves ahead of Fernandes in All India junior golf - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: aditya, amateur golf tournament, approach shots, birdies, bogeys, eagleton, first round score, jha, local boy, rashid khan, roughs, saurav, siddharth, slight mistake, southern india, tarun, tenth hole, tiwana, vikram, weather out