Rajvirdhan, Diljith claim titles in National RacingNovember 26th, 2011 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 26 (IANS) Vijaykumar Rajvirdhan (Prime Racing) displayed commendable maturity to bide his time as he carved his way to victory in difficult conditions due to heavy rains and clinch the championship in the Super Saloon class on the penultimate day of the 14th JK Tyre National Racing Championship here Saturday.
Also annexing the championship was 18-year old Diljith Shaji (LCT Sigaram Sports), who was content to finish fourth to take an unassailable lead over race winner B Balavijay in the Indian Touring Car Junior Category.
Thus, the second race in both the classes Sunday will be of academic interest with drivers behind the championship winners scrambling for minor positions.
It was Rajvirdhan’s fourth win of the season in 11 starts as he began the race from third position on the grid, before passing veteran Narayanaswamy Leelakrishnan (RAD Racing) and last year’s winner Siddharth Kishore (Performance Racing) at turn-1, only to drop back to second.
However, a few laps later, Rajvirdhan made a move on Kishore and made it stick to emerge deserving winner besides clinching the championship.
“I could sense that over the first two laps that my car was able to make quick exits from the corners and I knew there would opportunities to overtake the leaders.
“After losing both races to Leela last month, I badly wanted to beat him. I am happy I was able to do that. It feels great to be able to close out the championship with a victory,” Rajvirdhan said.
In the Formula LGB Swift class, championship leader Deepak Ravikumar spun during the second lap and finished outside the points while his Mars Racing team-mate Ameya Walawalkar opened up a seven-point lead by nursing his misfiring car to fourth place behind Meco Motorsports pair of Chittesh Mandody and Sarosh Hataria, and K Prashanth (TVS Girling).
Goa’s Avdumber Hede snacthed pole position from championship leader Vishnu Prasad (Chennai) in the single-make Polo R Cup series with a good opening lap in the qualifying session that was red flagged due to heavy rains after just eight laps.
Formula LGB Swift (15 laps): Chitesh Mandody (Meco Motorsports) 1 (19mins, 04.173secs); Sarosh Hataria (Meco Motorsports) 2 (19:09.668); K Prashanth (TVS Girling) 3 (19:14.361).
Indian Touring Cars (Super Saloon, 15 laps): Vijaykumar Rajvirdhan (Prime Racing) 1 (19:50.518); Narayanaswamy Leelakrishnan (RAD Racing) 2 (20:08.170); Siddharth Kishore (Performance Racing) 3 (20:08.367).
Indian Junior Touring Cars (15 laps): B Balavijay (Moto-Rev India) 1 (20:27.924); Gokul Krishna (Moto-Rev India) 2 (20:33.766); Feroze Khan (HCZ Racing) 3 (20:38.279).
- Ameya, Vishnu annex titles in JK Tyre National Racing - Nov 27, 2011
- Leelakrishan completes a double in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 16, 2011
- First win for Leelakrishnan in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 15, 2011
- Maiden win for Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 17, 2011
- National Racing Championship set for wet finish - Dec 17, 2010
- Classy Balu leaves field cold in national racing - Jul 28, 2012
- Veterans rule the roost at JK Races - Aug 21, 2011
- Hat-trick of wins for Walavalkar - Aug 20, 2011
- Double for Fahad Kutty at National Racing - Jul 29, 2012
- Kini, Bolisetti consolidate in JK Tyre racing - Sep 26, 2010
- Close contests on cards in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 14, 2011
- Double for Rajvirudhan, Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 18, 2011
- Vijaykumar, Feroze bag honours in National racing - Jul 08, 2012
- Double for Vikram, Vidyaprakash at JK Tyre National Racing - Aug 29, 2010
- Full grid of Swift unlikely in National Championship - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: academic interest, championship leader, championship winners, deserving winner, fourth win, girling, goa, heavy rains, hede, jk tyre, junior category, performance racing, pole position, prashanth, race winner, sarosh, team mate, third position, touring car, vijaykumar