Rajput, Bindra give India top position at Hanover shootingMay 8th, 2008 - 3:10 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) India’s Sanjeev Rajput and Abhinav Bindra have won the gold and silver respectively in the men’s 50 metres air rifle event of the International Shooting Competition at Hanover. Rajput gave an impressive performance and showed everyone that he is not just good in the 50-metre events but can also cause an upset to the world’s best air rifle shooters on any given day. Rajput entertained the spectators with his five consecutive perfect series of 100, 100, 100, 100, 100 and 98 to register a qualification score of 598 and then followed it up with 102.8 in the final round to win the gold Wednesday.
Bindra who shot a qualification sore of 594 (99, 99, 99, 100, 99, 98) made sure it was one-two for India as he won the silver medal after shooting a good final round of 103.
The third Indian in the event was Gagan Narang who recently won a bronze at the Beijing World Cup. He shot a final score of 693.7 (593+100.7) to finish eighth. Gagan shot a qualification series of 99, 100, 99, 97, 100 and 98.
The Indian trio of Rajput, Bindra and Narang also won the team gold with a total combined score of 1,785/1,800. The silver was won by the German team with a score of 1,772 while the Swiss team shot 1,767 to win the bronze.
In the women’s three position event Anjali Bhagwat also gave an impressive performance with 678.5 (581+97.5) and finished 5th.
Samaresh Jung shot a 676.1 (576+100.1) to finish fifth in the men’s air pistol event.
- Bindra wins silver in Asian Airgun Championship - Oct 19, 2011
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, Narang misses medal by a whisker (Second Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins India's first medal a bronze (India Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, rifle shooters disappoint (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang, Rajput fail to qualify - Aug 06, 2012
- Gagan wins silver in Kuwait Shooting Grand Prix - Mar 25, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Karmakar finishes fourth in 50m rifle prone (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- CWG: Indian shooters bag 2 golds, silver too in the kitty (Afternoon lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: abhinav bindra, air pistol, air rifle, bhagwat, final score, german team, gold and silver, hanover, impressive performance, narang, perfect series, qualification series, rifle shooters, samaresh jung, sanjeev, shot 1, silver medal, spectators, swiss team, team gold