Rajaram stars in JK Tyre national racingJune 30th, 2008 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
By Anand Philar
Coimbatore, June 30 (IANS) For a man pushing 50 and father of two, Chandrasekaran Rajaram put competitors half his age to shame with a stunning win in the premium Formula Rolon-Chevrolet class in the second round of the JK Tyre National Racing Championship here Sunday. Although Rajaram, in his 23rd year of racing failed to finish the next race following a broken drive shaft when in second position behind the eventual winner Rayomand Banajee, his performance undoubtedly was the talking point of the afternoon that otherwise fell rather flat.
In fact, Rajaram drove a near-flawless race the first time around starting from fourth position as he passed pole-sitter Sarosh Hataria, who subsequently made a vain attempt to retake his position before retiring with mechanical problems.
The races in the Formula LGB Swift class provided plenty of action with favourite Ashwin Sundar of Ram’s Racing having a disastrous afternoon. He finished the first race third behind Saran Vikram and Karthik Shankar. In the next outing, he collided into Karthik leading to retirement and the race was red flagged and re-started.
In the bargain, Saran Vikram swept to victory in both the races to cap a fruitful day that also underlined his abundant talent.
Meanwhile, the saloon car category witnessed a huge field that includes vehicles running in two classes - the Super Saloon (modified) and Race Star Cup (stock) - and produced some drama with several vehicles making contact and involved in much jostling for track positions.
Veteran Radha Selvaraj’s experience came in handy as he took the first race and then trailed Siddharth Kishore in the next run.
The biggest disappointment was the races for the Super Bikes that had to endure a wet track. The competition was virtually non-existent with the riders too intent on finishing the races without mishap. Also, the absence of two of India’s top riders, Dilip Rogger and K Rajini was rather conspicuous as Praveen Kirthi and Mazar took the honours in the 600cc and 1000cc classes, respectively.
Formula Rolon-Chevrolet: Race 1 (15 laps): 1. Chandrasekaran.Rajaram (17mins, 27:01secs); 2. Saran Vikram (17:32:406); 3. Saahil Shelar (17:37:848). Race 2: 1. Rayomand Banajee (17:45:208); 2. Saahil Shelar (17:45:247); 3. Steve Hodges (18:04:850).
Formula LGB Swift: Race 1 (15 laps): 1. Saran Vikram (18:10:422); 2. Karthik Shankar (18:11:513); 3. Ashwin Sundar (18:25:185). Race 2 (13 laps): 1. Saran Vikram (15:38:141); 2. Karthik Shankar (15:38:835); 3. Rayomand Banajee (15:55:558).
Super Bikes - 600cc: Race 1 (10 laps): 1. Praveen Keerthi (12:13:329); 2. Poncho Gopinath (12:49:984); 3. Sandeep (13:05:118). Race 2 (6 laps): 1. Praveen Keerthi (8:17:576); 2. Poncho Gopinath (9:04:270); 3. Ameen Nawaz Khan (8:38:723).
1000cc - Race 1 (10 laps): 1.Mazar (12:47:155); 2. Bharath (13:05:635); 3. Alok (13:27:272). Race 2 (6 laps): 1. Mazar (8:49:24 2); 2. Alok (9:12:647); 3. Balaji (9:15:920).
Super Saloon cars: Race 1 (15 laps): 1. Radha Selvaraj (19:38:442); 2. Siddharth Kishore (19:53:895); 3. Sivaramakrishnan (19:55:995). Race 2 (15 laps): 1. Siddharth Kishore (19:44:779); 2. Radha Selvaraj (19:45:256); 3. Sivaramakrishnan (20:07:745).
Race Star Cars - Race 1(15 laps): 1. Mazdayar Vatcha (20:33:4); 2. Prithveen Rajan (20:38:9); 3. Byram Godrej (20:43:3). Race 2 (15 laps): 1. Mazdayar Vatcha (20:36:995); 2. Prithveen Rajan (20:32:998); 3. Praveen (20:53:288).
- Saran Vikram tops in Formula Rolon - Dec 19, 2010
- Crash cost Vikram Swift class title in J.K.Tyre racing - Oct 05, 2008
- Command show by King in MRF Formula Championship - Feb 12, 2011
- Gulf Oil sweep top podium spots in MRF race - Feb 13, 2011
- JK Tyre road racing ends amidst much controversy - Oct 04, 2009
- King registers stunning win in MRF championships (Lead) - Feb 06, 2011
- King bounces back with win in MRF championship - Feb 06, 2011
- Ashwin, Ajay dominate motor races - Sep 12, 2009
- Double wins for Saran, Aditya in National Racing Championship - Aug 31, 2008
- Second successive win for Gaurav in Formula Rolon - Aug 02, 2009
- Vikram, Radha hog limelight in national racing - Jul 28, 2008
- Titles for Sudarshana, Devarag in National Road Racing Championship - Oct 03, 2009
- Ashwin Sundar takes top spot in MRF F1600 race - Feb 05, 2011
- Commanding win for Deepak in National Racing Championship - Jun 18, 2011
- Kini, Bolisetti consolidate in JK Tyre racing - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: abundant talent, car category, chandrasekaran, cup stock, drive shaft, flawless race, jk tyre, kishore, mechanical problems, pole sitter, rajini, rogger, saloon car, saran, star cup, sundar, track positions, vain attempt, vikram, wet track