Rains add twist to National Racing ChampionshipNovember 25th, 2011 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 25 (IANS) The northeast monsoon, after a dormant period, has become active again and the rains will add a twist to the sixth and concluding round of the 14th JK Tyre National Racing Championship to be held here over the weekend. Due to water-logging of the back sweep, the races will be run on the 2.1 km short loop.
With the titles up for grabs in all the three classes - the LGB Formula Swift, Super Saloon, and the Indian Junior Touring Cars - there is every promise of some exciting wheel-to-wheel racing with the expected wet going adding spice to the proceedings.
In the Formula LGB Swift class, just five points separated Mars Racing team-mates Deepak Ravikumar and Ameya Walawalkar who has won five of the 10 races so far, but a couple of exclusions due to technical infringements cost the Mumbai veteran precious points.
Coimbatore’s Vijaykumar Rajvirdhan (Prime Racing) need only to finish among points in the two races to clinch the Super Saloon class title as he leads veteran Narayanaswamy Leelakrishnan (RAD Racing) by 48 points with a maximum of 50 available this weekend.
Leelakrishnan has authored a fairytale script after sitting out the first round and then posting a series of podium finishes before achieving a double win in the previous round to put himself in contention for the title. He has the experience to pull off another double, but his title chances depend on Rajvirdhan not scoring more than one point.
Meanwhile, in the IJTC class, it is a straight fight between Diljit Shaji (LCT Sigaram Sports) and B. Bala Vijay (Moto Rev India). Shaji enjoys a 41-point lead and needs to be in the points to ensure he wins the championship.
In the single-make Polo R Cup series that is run concurrently, Chennai lad Vishnu Prasad has a five-point lead over Mumbai’s Rahil Noorani with Oshan Kothadiya (Pune) and Avdumber Hede (Goa) very much in the running for the title.
- Ameya, Vishnu annex titles in JK Tyre National Racing - Nov 27, 2011
- Close contests on cards in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 14, 2011
- Leelakrishan completes a double in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 16, 2011
- Veterans rule the roost at JK Races - Aug 21, 2011
- Full grid of Swift unlikely in National Championship - Jul 27, 2012
- Rajvirdhan, Diljith claim titles in National Racing - Nov 26, 2011
- Double for Rajvirudhan, Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 18, 2011
- Close battles likely in JK Races - Sep 16, 2011
- Tough fight for front-runners in JK Tyre National Racing - Aug 19, 2011
- Hat-trick of wins for Walavalkar - Aug 20, 2011
- Maiden win for Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 17, 2011
- Double for Ameya, Diljith in JK Tyre National Racing - Jul 17, 2011
- First win for Leelakrishnan in JK Tyre National Racing - Oct 15, 2011
- JK Tyre National Racing: Bala, Prakash, Ameya post wins - Jul 16, 2011
- Front-runners might have it tough in JK Tyre National Racing - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,