Rain delays start of play in last ODI in AucklandMarch 14th, 2009 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Auckland, March 14 (IANS) Persistent rain delayed the start of play in the fifth and final One-Day International (ODI) cricket match between India and New Zealand at Eden Park here Saturday. Umpires Rudi Koertzen (South Africa) and Gary Baxter (New Zealand) would not hazard a guess as to when play could start unless the rain stopped and they assess the ground condition.
India have already clinched the five-match series 3-0, with one match abandoned due to rain.
The toss and the announcement of teams will be done only after the umpires decide when play would start.
The Indian team management thinks that it could rest some of their key players and still white wash the hosts 4-0.
Some bowlers may be rested ahead of the first Test at Hamilton’s Seddon Park, starting Wednesday. Sachin Tendulkar, who sat out of the last game because of an abdomen injury, is likely to be rested for today’s match.
This the first time an India team won a ODI series in this country and for hosts it is easily their worst defeat at home.
The teams from:
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori (captain), Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor, Grant Elliott, Jacob Oram, Peter McGlashan (wicketkeeper), Kyle Mills, Iain O’Brien, Jeetan Patel and Ewen Thompson.
India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain and wicketkeeper), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Yusuf Pathan, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, Praveen Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Pragyan Ojha and Dinesh Karthik.
Umpires: Rudi Koertzen and Gary Baxter.
Third umpire: Evan Watkin.
Match referee: Ranjan Madugalle.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Dhoni wins toss again, India to bat in second ODI - Mar 06, 2009
- India win toss, decide to bat (Lead) - Mar 14, 2009
- New Zealand win the toss, India to bat - Mar 08, 2009
- Vettori wins toss, New Zealand to bat in 4th ODI - Mar 11, 2009
- Pressure on New Zealand to level series against India - Mar 07, 2009
- Scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Third ODI - Mar 08, 2009
- Final scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Third ODI - Mar 08, 2009
- Indian cricket team leaves for West Indies - Jun 01, 2011
- Ishant dropped, Chawla in for ODI series against Proteas - Dec 21, 2010
- Dhoni wins toss, India to bat - Mar 03, 2009
- Black Caps wicketkeeper McGlashan eyeing 2011 World Cup spot - Dec 28, 2010
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- Australia to bat against India, Sehwag replaces Pathan - Mar 24, 2011
- India bat against Pakistan in World Cup semifinal - Mar 30, 2011
- ODIs: Sehwag to lead India against Windies, Dhoni rested - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: brendon mccullum, cricket match, daniel vettori, dinesh karthik, gary baxter, gautam gambhir, irfan pathan, jacob oram, mahendra singh dhoni, odi cricket, odi series, praveen kumar, rohit sharma, sachin tendulkar, seddon park, suresh raina, virender sehwag, yusuf pathan, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan