Rain curtails first day’s play after morning session at The OvalAugust 18th, 2011 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 18 (IANS) Only 26 overs were possible as the rain came down heavily, forcing abandonment of the first day’s play of the fourth and last cricket Test between India and England at The Oval here Thursday.
England cruised to 75 for no loss in their first innings at lunch with Andrew Strauss batting on 38 and Alastair Cook 34 at the break after dominating the first session’s play.
The two gave England a perfect start after Strauss opted to bat. But play was not possible after that as the rain came down heavily during the lunch break.
The Indian bowlers failed to threaten the English openers, who scored at ease on both sides of the wicket. Ishant Sharma, however, was the best of the lot, varying both his pace and swing.
The lanky fast bowler struck Strauss on his helmet and a chunk of the lid went flying. It made Strauss reluctant to go on the front foot but he still played cleverly for his runs, hitting five fours.
Fast bowler Rudra Pratap Singh, who is making a comeback after three years, was rusty and wayward. Sreesanth was also poor in his first spell, spraying down the leg side that allowed both Strauss and Cook to score freely.
- Rain stops play at The Oval - Aug 18, 2011
- England cruise to 75/0 at lunch against India (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Bell's century takes England to 296/2 (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Bell, Pietersen punish ragged India (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Bell hits maiden double-century as England move to 591/6 (Lunch report) - Aug 20, 2011
- Cook scores ton, England continue to dominate (Tea report) - Aug 11, 2011
- India make a confident start by removing England openers (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- India pin England down to 124/8 (Tea report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Strauss, Cook guide England to 157/0 at lunch - Aug 11, 2011
- Ishant takes three to bring India back in Lord's Test (Lunch report) - Jul 24, 2011
- Sammy backs Roach to overcome no-ball problem - May 27, 2012
- England dominate India with Cook's ton (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Strauss and Pietersen steady England innings (Lunch report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Trott survives to score half-century, England 127/2 (Tea report) - Jul 21, 2011
- Rain wrecks Windsor Park debut - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: abandonment, alastair, andrew strauss, chunk, cricket test, england, first spell, helmet, India, indian bowlers, leg side, london, lunch, morning session, pace, rain, rudra pratap singh, sreesanth, wicket