Rahul ‘The Wall’ Dravid bids Test cricket adieu (Lead)March 9th, 2012 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 9 (IANS) Former India captain and batting legend Rahul Dravid Friday announced his retirement from Test cricket to bring the curtains down on his illustrious 16-year-old career.
Addressing a press conference at the Chinnaswamy Stadium here where he was first spotted by Keki Tarapore, an emotional Dravid, 39, bid farewell to the longer format of the game in which he is the second highest run scorer (13,288) after teammate Sachin Tendulkar. Dravid has 36 Test centuries from 164 matches and scored at an average of 52.31.
“I announce my retirement from all forms of international and domestic cricket. I had to make place for the next generation of cricketers,” Dravid said.
Dravid had retired from ODIs in England last year after he was surprisingly picked for the team. His decision comes as a slap on the face of the national selectors, who had ignored him for the last two years. Dravid has 10,889 runs at an average of 39.16 with 12 centuries from 344 ODIs.
- Rahul 'The Wall' Dravid hangs up Test boots (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2012
- Dravid 'The Wall' calls it a day from Tests (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- Rahul Dravid, a gentleman-cricketer to the core (Profile) - Mar 09, 2012
- Former captains pay rich tributes to Dravid at BCCI ceremony - Mar 27, 2012
- Will 'The Wall' Dravid retire? - Mar 08, 2012
- Dhoni wins World Cup but India loses No 1 Test status (2011 in Retrospect - Cricket) - Dec 21, 2011
- Dravid role model for young cricketers: Kumble - Mar 09, 2012
- Laxman, India's crisis man (Profile) - Aug 18, 2012
- Dravid's son wields bat after he bids adieu - Mar 10, 2012
- Kapil wants Sachin to retire immediately - Feb 20, 2012
- Dhoni sixth in ODI rankings after prolific series in England - Sep 18, 2011
- Dravid, the ultimate team man (Tribute) - Mar 09, 2012
- No tribute is enough for Dravid: Tendulkar - Mar 08, 2012
- Dravid back in ODI squad after two years (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011