Rahul misses second successive WC final appearance by a whiskerMay 30th, 2008 - 8:48 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, May 30 (IANS) Rahul Banerjee’s dream of a second successive World Cup final appearance was shattered as he suffered a one-point loss to United States archer Bardy Ellison in the men’s recurve individual semi-final at the third Meteksan World Cup archery meet at Antalya (Turkey). The Jamshedpur-based archer, ranked eighth in the world, was tied 110-110 with the American after throwing the regulation arrows, but Ellison triumphed in the tie-break Thursday.
Bardy, ranked four places below Banerjee, held his nerves shooting a ten, one more than the Indian in the one-arrow tie-break shoot-out.
Banerjee had made it to the final of the second World Cup at Porec, Croatia, where he lost to Romain Girouille of France to settle for silver.
Banerjee will now play Park Kyung Mo of Korea for the bronze medal.
The Indian would start with a psychological edge in their contest tomorrow as he had humbled Park in the semi-finals of the Porec event.
However, top-seeded Indian Mangal Singh Champia belied expectations to come a cropper against 16th-ranked Markiyan Ivashko of Ukraine in the pre-quarterfinals. Champia went down 108-113 to bow out of the individual event.
Jayanta Talukdar did one better than Champia, losing to Ellison 110-112 in the quarterfinals. The fourth Indian archer Priyank lost to Talukdar in the second round at 111-115.
The Indian eves continued their lacklustre show, with 28th ranked Reena Kumari losing in the second round to fifth-seeded Yuan Shu Chi of Chinese Taipei (105-108).
Punya Prabha, placed 46th and 49th-ranked Laishram Bombayla Devi lost in the pre-quarterfinal stage to higher rated opponents. Punya lost to world champion Natalia Valeeva of Italy 105-107 and Bombayla bit the dust against Olympic champion Park Sung Hyun of Korea 104-112.
Korean Yun Ok Hee set a world record in the 12-arrow segment of the women’s section scoring 119 out of a possible 120 points in the semifinal clash against her compatriot Park Sung Hyun.
Men’s recurve individual: Semifinals: (8) Rahul Banerjee lost to (12) Bardi Ellison (US) 110 (9)-110 (10); quarters: bt (16) M. Ivashko (ukr) 113-111; pre-quarters: bt (9) Wang Cheng Pang (Tpe) 114-113; 2nd round: bt (25) Chen Szu Yuan (Tpe) 114-108; 1st round: bt (57) Andrey Abramov (Rus) 110-107.
Pre-quarters: (1) Mangal Singh Champia lost to Ivashko 108-113; 2nd round: bt (33) Amedeo Tonelli (Ita) 113-109; 1st round: bt (64) Rafal Dobrowolski (Pol) 116-107
Quarters: (4) Jayanta Talukdar lost to Ellison 110-112; pre-quarters: bt (13) Viktor Ruban (Ukr) 111-110; 2nd round: bt (29) Priyank (Ind) 115-111; 1st round: bt (61) Wu Fengbo (Chn) 108-106.
2nd round: (29) Priyank lost Talukdar (Ind) 111-115; 1st round: bt (36) Ryuichi Moriya (Jpn) 109-107.
Women’s recurve individual: 2nd round: (28) Reena Kumari lost to (5) Yuan Shu Chi (Tpe) 105-108; 1st round: bt (37) Liu Pi-yu (Tpe) 107 (9) - 107 (8).
Pre-quarters: (46) Punya Prabha lost to (3) Natalia Valeeva (Ita) 105-107; 2nd round: bt (14) Chen Ling (Chn) 109-102; 1st round: bt (19) Ana Maria Rendon (Col) 103-102
Pre-quarters: (49) L. Bombayla Devi lost to (1) Park Sung Hyun (Kor) 104-112; 2nd round: bt (17) Ekaterina Kharkhanova (Rus) 108-104; 1st round: bt (16) Kristina Esebua (Geo) 112-109.
- Indian men's archery team enters World Cup final - May 30, 2008
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Archery: Indian men a big let down on opening day (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Archery World Cup: Dola, Reena compete for lone bronze medal - Apr 04, 2009
- Little known Iranian shocks Talukdar in Archery World Cup - Jun 09, 2011
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
- Dutta, Adik bow out in Indian Open squash - Sep 06, 2011
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Dixit, Anaka lead way into national squash semis - Oct 27, 2010
- Archer Tarundeep Rai to vie for World Cup bronze - Jun 21, 2012
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- Indian men's recurve team in World Cup archery final - Jun 09, 2010
- Early exit for Indians in archery World Cup - Aug 06, 2010
- Metwally makes main draw of Chennai Open squash - May 22, 2012
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
Tags: antalya turkey, bronze medal, champion park, chinese taipei, cropper, indian eves, jamshedpur, mangal singh, meteksan, natalia valeeva, olympic champion, park sung hyun, psychological edge, quarterfinal stage, reena kumari, semifinal clash, talukdar, tie break, world champion, yuan shu chi