Rahul Gandhi took to boxing as a stress busterMay 26th, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) To keep himself fit during his rigorous political campaigns, Gandhi family scion and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi took to boxing as a stress buster.
The 38-year-old Rahul, who is an avid sports lover, trained under Dronacharya awardee Om Prakash Bharadwaj in April and May last year.
For Bharadwaj, it was a great experience teaching Rahul at his residence at 12 Tughlak Lane.
“Rahul used to practice everyday during those two months for one hour daily with his two-three friends. He was an excellent student. Rahul’s humbleness surprised me and he never made me feel that I was teaching the most high profile politician in the country,” Bharadwaj told IANS Tuesday.
“Rahul was a keen learner and hardworking. I wish I had more students like him, then I could have worked wonders with Indian boxers when I was the national coach,” he said.
Bharadwaj said that he was surprised by Rahul’s strict diet.
“He had a strict diet and I never had to tell him what to eat and what not. Rahul was a strict disciplinarian,” he said.
The 70-year-old coach said that boxing helped Rahul to de-stress when he travelled the length and breadth of the country last year to rejuvenate the youth wing of the Congress.
“Boxing helps you to relax and it is a form of good exercise for busy people like Rahul to stay healthy despite their hectic schedule. Boxing also makes you a disciplined person. Despite rigorous work-out sessions I never saw Rahul tired,” Bharadwaj said.
“Boxing helps you to have a positive outlook towards life and it makes you fearless. I think it helped Rahul and I wish him success in future,” he said.
Rahul, who was seen cheering for Kolkata Knight Riders in the inaugural edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) last year, has interests in scuba diving, swimming, cycling, squash and shooting. He is also known to have a passion for sports bikes.
- Surprised to receive the Dronacharya Award, says Fernandez - Aug 24, 2012
- I will learn from the Indian team: Fletcher - Jul 15, 2011
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Carlton Cole used to smuggle ketchup into England camp - Dec 14, 2009
- Dog Learns Scuba-Diving - Jul 05, 2010
- Nayeemuddin appointed new Mohammedan Sporting coach - Jul 16, 2010
- McClaren tells Fergie that he can't tame Rooney - Apr 08, 2011
- So near and yet so far from Rahul (Sidelights) - Jul 09, 2011
- Denzel Washington uses boxing to relax - Feb 08, 2012
- 'Shoe attacker is not a journalist' - Jun 06, 2011
- Strict diet not healthy, says Brook - Jun 20, 2012
- 'Aashiqui 2' bold move by Vishesh Films: Rahul Roy - Jul 12, 2012
- I'm the disciplinarian: Jessica Alba - Mar 15, 2012
- I am with you, Rahul tells farmers in Mayawati land (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Kapil Sibal, make higher education stress-free too! (Comment) - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: awardee, bharadwaj, breadth, general secretary, hectic schedule, humbleness, inaugural edition, indian boxers, knight riders, national coach, political campaigns, positive outlook, rahul gandhi, rigorous work, scion, sports bikes, stress buster, strict diet, strict disciplinarian, three friends