Rafter says McEnroe still a `nutter’June 6th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 6(ANI): Former Australian tennis player Patrick Rafter playing a exhibition tennis match at the Pat Rafter Arena came out with a amusing comment on John McEnroe.
“You’d think he’d grow out of it, but he’s still a nutter,” The Courier-Mail quoted Rafter, as saying.
McEnroe, former world no.1 was famous for his confrontational on-court behavior, which frequently landed him in trouble with umpires and tennis authorities.
“He’s incredibly grumpy and I don’t know why he continues to carry on like that. But I’ve asked some of the veteran guys around why he acts that way and he just gets this White Line Fever and he can’t control himself,” Rafter added.
The American, who has won several Grand Slam singles titles such as Wimbledon and US Open was known for his rivalries with Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl. (ANI)
- McEnroe's ghostly image appears in cloud formation in Bristol - Oct 02, 2010
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- The top male tennis player of all time - Jimmy Connors - Mar 02, 2011
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- Sporting world unites to admire Federer - Jul 06, 2009
- 'Scud' Philippoussis wants another shot at playing top flight tennis - Oct 25, 2010
- Sampras, Agassi to meet again in Paribas Showdown - Feb 20, 2011
- 70-year-old tennis referee kills 80-year-old hubby - Aug 22, 2012
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon victory voted sporting moment of the decade - Jan 01, 2010
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon win voted sporting moment of decade - Dec 31, 2009
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Murray invents snack-based nicknames for his tennis pals - Jun 27, 2009
- Tennis legends to play in Kerala capital - Sep 19, 2009
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: australian tennis player, authorities, bjorn borg, courier mail, exhibition, grand slam, ivan lendl, jimmy connors, john mcenroe, london, nutter, pat rafter, patrick rafter, rivalries, tennis match, umpires, white line fever, wimbledon