Rafter questions Djokovic’s desire in retirement wakeJanuary 30th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 30 (DPA) Former tennis great Patrick Rafter has voiced his doubts about the desire of deposed Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic after the Serb’s retirement during his quarter-final with Andy Roddick.During a television match commentary, the double US Open champion and one of the most popular of the former Aussie players, had his say about the increasingly controversial Djokovic.
Rafter said that the 21-year-old had a history of “pulling the pin” (with four retirements in Grand Slam matches).
“Everyone wonders when he’s going to call the trainer again,” said Rafter. “They wonder if he’s playing games or is he for real. It’s definitely out there and players are aware of him.”
Before pulling out against Roddick early in their fourth set, Djokovic had also quit a 2007 Wimbledon final against Rafael Nadal and twice at the French Open (against Nadal and Guillermo Coria).
- US Open: Djokovic into semis; Nadal, Murray, Roddick reach quarters - Sep 09, 2011
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Nadal wins US Open for career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win Madrid Masters - May 09, 2011
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Greatest match of my life: Djokovic - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: andy roddick, aussie, australian open, doubts, dpa, french open, grand slam, guillermo coria, match, melbourne, novak djokovic, open champion, open winner, patrick rafter, playing games, rafael nadal, retirement, retirements, serb, wimbledon