Rafi voted Best Indian footballerSeptember 13th, 2010 - 2:31 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 13 (ANI): Striker Mohammed Rafi, who plays for Churchill Brothers, Goa, has been voted the ‘Best Indian Footballer’, while Okolie Odafe was chosen as the ‘Best Foreign Footballer’ of the year.
Joaquim Abranches won the ‘Best Young Player’ award, while the ‘Best Coach’ award went to Armando Colaco of Dempo Sports Club, Goa. National captain and FPAI president Baichung Bhutia was honoured for his contribution to Indian Football.
The awards were given by Lucozade Football Players’ Association of India (FPAI).
Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Mohammed bin Hammam, AIFF president Praful Patel, Sports Minister M.S. Gill and many other sports personalities were present at the occasion.
Later, briefing media, Bhutia said that the main focus of their association right now is the welfare of the players.
“What we are trying to focus is welfare of the players and guide the players in the right directions. We will have lot of people at the moment we have lot of expert people from different parts of the life coming forward and giving lectures and advices on different issues to the football players,” he added.
Bhutia further said he is also planning to open a Football Academy in West Bengal and Sikkim.
“We are trying to start a Football Academy in Bengal and Sikkim, which is gonna be absolutely non-profitable thing, which we are still working. We have applied for the lands to both the governments. I think it’s in a very good stage where we should be able to get it,” he added. (ANI)
- Rafi is best Indian footballer, Odafe foreigner of the year - Sep 13, 2010
- Training without Bhaichung feels different: Chettri - Jun 18, 2011
- Bollywood stars to grace Indian Football Awards - Sep 20, 2011
- Footballers planning fund-raiser for quake victims - Sep 20, 2011
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Bhaichung to continue playing for United Sikkim FC - May 15, 2011
- Bhutia appeals for help to the quake-hit - Sep 21, 2011
- New football coach says follow Dempo style - Jun 15, 2011
- Dempo a draw away from winning the I-League - Apr 19, 2012
- Bhaichung's football academy to come up in North Bengal - Nov 23, 2011
- Mehtab best young fottballer, Betto best foreign player - Sep 27, 2011
- Bhaichung Bhutia: A fairytale journey (Profile) - Aug 24, 2011
- I-League: Churchill look to close gap on Dempo - Apr 10, 2012
- Bhaichung's United Sikkim to boost northeast football - Dec 24, 2010
- Shah Rukh Khan to buy stake in I-League champions Dempo - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: advices, afc, asian football confederation, baichung bhutia, churchill brothers, club goa, coach award, colaco, dempo sports club, football academy, football players, footballer of the year, indian football, mohammed rafi, New Delhi, other sports, praful patel, sports personalities, striker, west bengal