Rafael Nadal advances to Madrid Masters finals in marathon setMay 17th, 2009 - 2:40 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Spain’s Rafael Nadal advanced to the finals of the Madrid Masters after a marathon five set game against world number four ranked Novak Djokovic.
The 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (11-9) game lasted a little over four hours and was Nadal’s 33rd straight tennis match victory on clay and gives him the chance to compete for his 16th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title,
It is the third time in five weeks that the world number one has fronted Djokovic in a Masters100.
Until last week Djokovic was ranked at number three in the ATP ranking but despite reaching the last three Masters 1000 finals (Miami, Monte Carlo, and Rome) fell to fourth in the world behind Andy Murray last Monday.
The victory by Nadal will see the 22-year-old Spaniard meet the winner of the of the Roger Federer-Juan Del Potro match on Sunday for a share of the €1.8 million ($US2.450 million)
2009 is the first year that the Madrid Masters has been played on clay, having been an indoor hardcourt tournament for the previous 18 years. It is also the first year that members of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) have taken part.
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win Madrid Masters - May 09, 2011
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Federer maintains big lead in unchanged ATP top 10 - Apr 12, 2010
- Federer, Nadal line up dream final in Madrid - May 16, 2010
- Supreme Nadal stops Federer in Madrid - May 17, 2010
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
- Djokovic won't defend title at Serbian Open - Apr 26, 2012
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: 18 years, andy murray, atp ranking, atp world tour, last monday, madrid masters, marathon set, monte carlo, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, roger federer, rome, set game, spain, tennis association, tennis match, third time, victory, wta