Racist Zenit graffiti prompts UEFA warningJune 7th, 2012 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A huge piece of racist graffiti that appeared bearing the name of Zenit St. Petersburg has damaged the Russian club’s image, a spokesman for UEFA, Europe’s soccer body, told R-Sport Thursday.
Zenit are the only major Russian team never to field a black player, and former coach Dick Advocaat has said that pressure from some Zenit fans prevented him signing black players during his time at the club.
The slogan “There’s no black in Zenit’s colors” appeared on the bank of the Neva river in central St. Petersburg. It is about 10 metres long and clearly visible from the opposite bank.
Zenit’s place in next season’s Champions League is not in danger but the incident reflects badly on the club, UEFA spokesman Sergei Borisov said.
“I don’t think that anyone’s seriously looking at the question of a ban from European competition right now, but the St. Petersburgers have damaged their standing once again,” he said.
The graffiti could be cited if UEFA charges Zenit with a racism offence in future, Borisov said.
“If something similar happens on the day of a match in European competition and there is an investigation, this incident will not go unnoticed,” he said.
“The worse a club’s record is, the stricter future penalties will be.”
The same slogan already appeared during 2004 UEFA Cup qualification match with ASKO Pasching in Austria, when a fan ran onto the pitch with these words written on his shirt, earning Zenit a warning from UEFA.
Zenit were fined for their fans’ behaviour during the November 2011 Champions League game against APOEL Nicosia, when the referee had to stop the match and lead the teams off the pitch because of thick smoke caused by Zenit fans using pyrotechnics.
- Joining Zenit is another victory in my life: Hulk - Sep 04, 2012
- Hulk and Witsel cost 40 millon euros each: Zenit - Sep 07, 2012
- Oldest Zenit fan dies at 103 - Sep 10, 2012
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- We can turn Dzyuba into a great: Emery - Jul 17, 2012
- Russia to decide on new coach soon: Sports minister - Jul 05, 2012
- Zenit can win Champions League in two years: Malafeev - Sep 09, 2012
- Russia's Akinfeev has knee problem: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
- Arshavin sorry for Russia's Euro 2012 showing - Jun 21, 2012
- Kerzhakov signs four-year extension at Zenit - Aug 18, 2012
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA to probe Russian fans behaviour - Jun 10, 2012
- Police investigate Anzhi terrorism claims - Aug 18, 2012
- Arsenal expect Arshavin in training by July 21 - Jul 05, 2012
- Russia launches anti-racism football taskforce - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: asko, borisov, champions league, coach dick, dg, dick advocaat, former coach, league game, neva river, nicosia, offence, pasching, racist graffiti, referee, ria novosti, russian club, russian team, slogan, thick smoke, zenit st petersburg