Qureshi rules out bitterness with Bopanna after splitNovember 30th, 2011 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Nov 30 (IANS) Pakistan’s tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi Wednesday ruled out any bitterness with India’s Rohan Bopanna after their split on the ATP doubles tour, saying his former doubles partner is his friend and will even come to attend his wedding.
Qureshi, 31, joined hands with Bopanna in 2007, the time when Indo-Pak diplomatic relations were at a boiling point, and were together till the World Tour Final which concluded in London last week.
Their unique partnership was hailed and appreciated by different circles and was described as a symbol of friendship between the rival countries, Xinhua reported.
The pair dubbed as “Indo-Pak express” was currently ranked at career high ninth position. They got world fame when they reached the US Open doubles final in 2010.
“Some months ago Bopanna told me that in order to qualify for 2012 London Olympics he has to play with an Indian partner. Although it was shocking for me, I respect his decision,” said Qureshi, while talking to local media.
While Bopanna has already told the Indian media that he would make his team with veteran compatriot Mahesh Bhupathi in 2012, Qureshi is hopeful of teaming up with Dutchman Jean-Julien Roger at the Australian Open in January.
“I am not looking far ahead as I am also doing my bit to qualify for the Olympics and since I had to find a partner I have settled with Jean-Julien Rojer,” he said.
Rejecting the news in the media that the split occurred due to some bitterness between them, Qureshi said: “It ended on a good note and we will continue to be good friends and ambassadors of peace. I have invited him to my wedding and he has promised to attend.”
- Bopanna-Qureshi move to fifth in ATP Rankings - Nov 14, 2011
- Bopanna-Bhupathi in quarters of Madrid Open - May 10, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out of Australian Open (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek face Bryan brothers in final - Sep 07, 2012
- Bopanna-Qureshi enter quarters of Paris Masters - Nov 10, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi enter first ATP Tour 1000 Masters final - Nov 13, 2011
- US Open: Leander enters mixed doubles quarters - Sep 03, 2011
- Aisam-ul-Haq reaches career-best ATP ranking of 12 - Apr 05, 2011
- Paes to partner Tipsarevic in Chennai Open - Dec 23, 2011
- Paes-Bhupathi and Bopanna-Qureshi in quarterfinals - Aug 19, 2011
- Chennai Open: Bopanna hopes for success with new partner Hesh - Dec 27, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Paris Masters - Nov 14, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Stockholm Open - Oct 23, 2011
- Bhupathi-Paes knocked out of Paris Masters - Nov 09, 2011
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek set-up final clash with Bryan brothers (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, aisam ul haq, aisam ul haq qureshi, australian open, bitterness, boiling point, compatriot, diplomatic relations, dutchman, indian partner, jean julien, local media, mahesh bhupathi, ninth position, qualify for the olympics, rival countries, rohan bopanna, tennis star, world fame, xinhua