Queensland pacer Ben Laughlin called up for Australia’’s one-day, Twenty20 squadsMarch 12th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane, Mar.12 (ANI): Queensland fast bowler Ben Laughlin, who has taken 20 wickets at an average of 15.85 to guide his team to the Ford Ranger Cup final, has been called into the Australian squad for the Twenty20 and one-day clashes with South Africa.
Laughlin, 26, snared 3-25 in the final as Queensland stunned hot favourite Victoria.
“Ben has had an extremely good summer for Queensland and was instrumental in their one-day final victory,” chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said.
“Ben will add to the versatility of the Australian bowling line up as we continue to look at options progressing forward to the 2011 World Cup.”
Australia will rest Test pacers Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus for the limited-overs series, which include two Twenty20 and five one-day internationals.
“Both Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle are being rested from the South African one-day series as part of their workload management to prepare for their possible inclusion in key upcoming events which include the World Twenty20 and the Ashes,” Hilditch said.
“Both Peter and Ben had significant injuries during the 2008 off-season.
“Since returning to cricket they have had a demanding and heavy Australian season and will have completed three back-to-back Test matches in South Africa.
“The recommendation of the coaching and fitness staff was that they have time off now to allow them to recuperate and then commence a structured training program in ideal preparation potentially for the World Twenty20 and the Ashes.”
NSW blaster Dave Warner and Victorian bowler Shane Harwood have been included in the squad only for the two Twenty20 matches.
Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke (vice-capt), Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Brett Geeves, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Adam Voges, Cameron White, David Warner, Shane Harwood. (ANI)
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Australia include rookie Laughlin for one-day series - Mar 12, 2009
- Uncapped Doherty, Smith in Oz squad in place of Hauritz for first Ashes Test - Nov 20, 2010
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Bollinger a casualty of Lee's Ashes campaign - May 06, 2009
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Copeland, Lyon new faces in Australia's squad for Sri Lanka series - Jul 26, 2011
- Symonds in prelims squad for T20 World Cup - Apr 03, 2009
- Australia retain squad for Adelaide Test - Jan 17, 2012
- Australia recall Pattinson, drop Harris - Feb 28, 2012
- Lee, Watson make it to Oz Twenty20 squad - May 05, 2009
- Clarke to lead Australia in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Australia calls up Dutch pacer Nannes for 20-20 clash against England - Aug 11, 2009
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: adam voges, australian bowling, cameron white, david hussey, david warner, final victory, fitness staff, ford ranger, geeves, hilditch, michael clarke, michael hussey, mitchell johnson, nathan bracken, nathan hauritz, ricky ponting, siddle, structured training, workload management, world twenty20