Qualification for 2012 Olympics tough: NobbsSeptember 13th, 2011 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) India’s newly-appointed hockey coach Michael Nobbs Tuesday said the eight-time Olympic champions will have a tough time qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics.
The Australian, who coached India to a win in the Asian Champions Trophy in his first assignment with the national team, said he will try his best to help the team qualify for the London Games but has set his sights on a podium finish in the 2016 Olympics at Rio De Janeiro. India missed the 2008 Beijing Games for the first time in 80 years
“The team is on the right track but it is just the start. We are thrilled and excited but actually few believed we could win the final against Pakistan. Qualifying for the London Olympics is a realistically difficult task. All teams are preparing for the last six years but we will surely give our best. My target is to make a podium finish in the 2016 Olympics,” said Nobbs during the felicitation programme for the team at the National Stadium here.
Nobbs said Indian hockey team still has a long way to go.
“It is just the start. We have to keep our feet grounded. We had six rookies in the team and they had performed extremely well. I am happy with the basics of our players but have to improve the fitness of the team. I will try out other young players as well and I want to create a large pool of players,” said Nobbs.
The coach was happy with the attitude of the young India squad in the recently held Asian Champions Trophy in Ordos, China. The team defeated arch-rivals Pakistan 4-2 through the tie-breaker in the final.
“I told the players to not be afraid and not to worry about the result. I told them just depend on your instinct and be brave. We did not play the tournament with a specific strategy but according to the situation,” he said.
- Never blamed Nobbs for London debacle: Shivendra - Aug 24, 2012
- Players' obsession is only to win: Hockey coach Michael Nobbs - Jun 17, 2012
- Need to play regularly against top teams: Nobbs - Jun 05, 2012
- Nobbs vows to carry on as India's hockey coach - Aug 14, 2012
- Nobbs focussed on allround development of Indian hockey - Jun 30, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- New hockey coach Nobbs to focus on game's development (Round up) - Jun 30, 2011
- We have to be the best in the world: Nobbs - Feb 25, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- Dejected Rajpal blames HI for his omission from London list - Feb 27, 2012
- Hockey coach Nobbs gets a salary hike - Feb 27, 2012
- Nobbs looks at positives from dismal Euro tour - Jul 21, 2012
- Hockey India to appoint high performance manager - Aug 29, 2012
- Hockey squad picked on performance not reputation: Nobbs - Jan 31, 2012
- Nobbs: Selection on form and fitness - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing, 2012 london olympics, 2012 olympics, 2016 olympics, arch rivals, champions trophy, hockey coach, hockey team, indian hockey, instinct, london games, New Delhi, olympic champions, olympics, ordos, podium, rio de janeiro, rookies, target, tie breaker