Qatari royal family to make fresh 1.5 billion pound bid for Man UFebruary 25th, 2011 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 25(ANI): The Al Thani family, the royal family of Qatar, is reportedly preparing a fresh 1.5 billion pound bid for Manchester United.
The family had tried to tempt the Glazers earlier this month with an offer of just over a billion pounds, but the bid was turned down by the Americans, who are holding out for closer to 1.8 billion pounds, the Daily Mail reports.
The renewed offer is partly motivated by rivalry with the Abu Dhabi royal family, who have invested millions of pounds to transform United’s arch-rivals Manchester City.
Manchester United is one of the wealthiest and most widely supported football teams in the world.
The club is said to be worth 1.19 billion pounds, making it the most valuable football club in the world.
After being floated on the London Stock Exchange in 1991, the club was purchased by Malcolm Glazer in May 2005 in a deal valuing the club at almost 800 million pounds. (ANI)
- Qatar Amir close to buyung Manchester United - Feb 11, 2011
- Glazers family all set to sell Manchester United - Dec 22, 2010
- Qatar made a $2.4 billion bid on Manchester United - Feb 26, 2011
- Man U denies it has received a bid offer from Qatar - Jan 24, 2011
- Unpopular Glazers vow to hang on to Man U for the long-term - Feb 26, 2011
- Red Knights' Manchester United takeover bid shelved - May 30, 2010
- Glazers snub 1.5 billion pound bid for Manchester United - May 07, 2010
- Qatar sheikhs may launch Man U buy-out bid - Jan 17, 2010
- Red Knights not to offer more than 1-bn dollars to Man U owners - May 11, 2010
- Man U owners Glazer family denies meeting Red Knights - Apr 15, 2010
- Man U's American owners to pay off PIK loans - Nov 16, 2010
- Man U owners planning radical wage cut for players - Mar 18, 2011
- Man U fans livid over likely soaring of debt to extra 75-mn pounds - May 19, 2010
- 'US-based Man U owners forced to pay debts without using club funds' - Nov 17, 2010
- Glazers have done their job well: Ferguson - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: abu dhabi, al thani, arch rivals, city manchester, daily mail, football club, football teams, glazers, london feb, london stock exchange, malcolm glazer, manchester city, manchester united, qatar, rivalry, royal family