Qatar will put on “an absolutely superb World Cup” in 2022: AdsheadDecember 3rd, 2010 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Dec 3 (ANI): Former head coach of New Zealand’s national football team, John Adshead, believes that the tiny state of Qatar will put on “an absolutely superb World Cup” in 2022.
Adshead is best known for guiding New Zealand to their first World Cup finals appearance in Spain in 1982 and he knows the Gulf region well from his time as Oman’s national youth coach in the early 2000s.
Appreciating the decision to name Qatar as host, he said no one on the outside was privy to the reasons behind world body Fifa’s decision.
“But if you want to develop the game, then I think Qatar is a fantastic choice, and they will put on an absolutely superb World Cup. I know it will disappoint Australia and other countries that applied, but it’s a coup for Asia and for the Gulf states,” he said.
While Qatar had a population of just 1.4 million, it had the wealth to deliver the infrastructure needed and its location was also an advantage,” NZ Herald reports.
“Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia are all close by and it’s seven hours from London and seven hours from Singapore. It’s a pretty central place,” Adshead said. (ANI)
- Qatar upbeat about World Cup 2022, but worried about finances - Dec 06, 2010
- World Cup 2022 Bid Won By Qatar, USA Fumes - Dec 03, 2010
- AFC chief against Qatar hosting 2022 World Cup jointly with other Gulf nations - Jan 15, 2011
- FIFA boss Sepp Blatter sorry for 'gay' remarks - Dec 18, 2010
- FIFA support India for U-17 and 2022 World Cup - Sep 05, 2012
- FIFA bans, fines Indonesian coach - Apr 20, 2012
- Qatar Would Be Hosting World Cup 2022 - Dec 03, 2010
- Gulf security to be focus of GCC summit - Dec 05, 2010
- Platini backs winter 2022 football World Cup in Qatar - Dec 13, 2010
- India, Qatar deepen energy ties, seek to promote investments (News Analysis) - Apr 13, 2012
- FIFA to probe Bahrain's big win - Mar 02, 2012
- Platini wants other Gulf nations to joint Qatar in hosting 2022 WC - Jan 13, 2011
- Siddons unhappy with Muralitharan's signing before his appointment - May 14, 2011
- FIFA is 'the galacticos of corruption', says former official - Dec 05, 2010
- FIFA begins inspection for 2018-2022 World Cups - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: 2000s, adshead, appearance, body fifa, coup, gulf states, head coach, infrastructure, national football team, new zealand, oman, population, saudi arabia, seven hours, singapore, spain, tiny state, wellington, world cup finals, youth coach