Punjab win Junior National Hockey ChampionshipSeptember 9th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 9 (IANS) Punjab defeated Odisha 4-3 to win the Hockey India Junior Men National Championship at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium here Sunday.
Punjab took lead in the 10th minute with the penalty corner successfully converted by Gurjinder Singh. Two minutes later Odisha equalised with a field goal by Bikash Kujur.
Odisha scored two more goals before half time through Alsem Lakra (25th minute) and Amonmirash Tirkey (27th).
Punjab made a comeback in the 38th minute with the field goal scored by Akashdeep Singh.
In the 55th minute Punjab levelled the score with the penalty corner successfully converted by Gurjinder Singh and three minutes later Mandeep Singh scored another goal putting 4-3 on the board for Punjab.
Odisha’s forward Tirkey was declared player of the tournament.
In another match, Haryana beat Sai Bhopal 2-0 to win third position in the championship. Naveen and Gurjant Singh were the goal scorers for Haryana.
- Junior Hockey: Punjab, Haryana, Odisha, SAI Bhopal in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Punjab beat Jharkhand 4-1, finish third in hockey nationals - Jun 19, 2011
- Junior Hockey: Punjab launch campaign in style - Sep 05, 2012
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Punjab and Sind Bank beat Namdhari XI in Nehru hockey - Nov 22, 2011
- Junior Hockey: Haryana, Punjab, Karnataka enter quarters - Sep 06, 2012
- WSH: Comets move closer to semi-final spot - Mar 26, 2012
- WSH: Chandigarh Comets post 3-1 win over Sher-E-Punjab - Mar 09, 2012
- India ride on Sandeep's brilliance to book London berth - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: dhyan chand, field goal, goal scorers, gurjinder singh, India, junior men, mandeep singh, match, national championship, national hockey championship, naveen, odisha, score, third position, three minutes, two minutes