Punjab to start International Kabaddi League on IPL linesApril 5th, 2010 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 5 (IANS) Enthused by the good response for the ongoing Kabaddi World Cup Punjab (KWCP), the state government is proposing to initiate International Kabaddi League (IKL) on the lines of the popular Twenty20 cricket Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament.
“The idea is to promote kabaddi on an international level and to give global exposure to our players,” said Sukhbir Singh Badal, Punjab deputy chief minister here Monday.
“The IKL would professionally market the game at the international level so that players can get worldwide recognition. In the coming days we will also make all out efforts to get circle kabaddi included in the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Games and in the Olympic Games.”
Sukhbir, who is also the chairperson of the organising committee of KWCP said IKL would organise matches in Europe, Canada, the US and in Australia in summers and quarter-final, semi-final and final would be played in winters in the Asian sub-continent especially in India and Pakistan.
Presently nine international teams from countries like Pakistan, US, UK, Canada, Iran and Australia are participating in this cash-rich KWCP.
The winning team of this tournament will bag a cash award of Rs.1 crore while the first runner-up will receive Rs.51 lakh. The second and third runner-up teams will take home Rs.21 and Rs.10 lakh, respectively.
Besides, Rs.500,000 each will be given to other participating teams.
“Our new sports policy is being framed after getting inputs from sports professionals and it is aimed at organising games right from the grassroots level. We have already distributed Rs.100,000 each to 2,500 villages in the state to promote sports infrastructure,” Badal said.
- Women's teams to feature in kabaddi World Cup - Jul 17, 2011
- India, Pakistan to meet in Kabaddi World Cup finals - Apr 11, 2010
- The 'desi' boys of Punjab's kabaddi world cup - Nov 08, 2011
- Punjab Games to have rich cash incentives - Nov 10, 2010
- Kabaddi World Cup begins in Punjab - Apr 04, 2010
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- Twelve nations to vie for Rs.2 crore World Kabaddi Cup - Jun 19, 2011
- Punjab government awards Indian kabaddi team Rs.25 lakh - Sep 27, 2011
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup next month - Mar 17, 2010
- India beat Pakistan to win Kabaddi World Cup 2010 (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- India win men, women world cup Kabaddi titles - Nov 21, 2011
- Punjab to have World Kabaddi League in February - Sep 01, 2009
- India, Canada teams to clash in Kabaddi finals - Nov 19, 2011
- In times of F1, Punjab talked kabaddi - Nov 13, 2011
- After gala start, India take on Germany in Kabaddi World Cup - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: asian games, chairperson, commonwealth games, crore, deputy chief minister, europe canada, global exposure, grassroots level, india and pakistan, kabaddi world cup, new sports, olympic games, organising committee, premier league, rs 1, rs 500, sukhbir singh, twenty20 cricket, winning team, worldwide recognition