Punjab offers land to Yuvraj for sports academyMay 2nd, 2012 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 2 (IANS) The Punjab government Wednesday offered to allot 20 acres of land near Chandigarh to star cricketer Yuvraj Singh for setting up a world-class sports academy.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal made the offer to the cricketer, who is recovering from treatment of a rare germ cell cancer.
Yuvraj Singh, accompanied by his mother, Shabnam Singh, met Badal at his residence Wednesday morning.
After enquiring about his health, Badal wished him a speedy recovery.
Badal made the offer for land for a sports academy following a proposal by Yuvraj Singh to impart training to budding players in cricket, hockey, golf and tennis.
The chief minister asked his principal secretary to finalize modalities for the allotment of the land.
Yuvraj, who belongs to Chandigarh, had played for the Punjab Ranji team earlier before becoming an international cricketer. He arrived in Chandigarh Tuesday.
The southpaw, who underwent chemotherapy treatment for the rare cancer in the US earlier this year, was the Man of the Tournament of the 2011 cricket World Cup.
- Yuvraj back home after three months - Apr 09, 2012
- Yuvraj to return home Monday - Apr 08, 2012
- Yuvraj eyes return against Kiwis before T20 World Cup - Jul 07, 2012
- Fit again Yuvraj back home after battling cancer (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Yuvraj returns home after winning battle against cancer (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2012
- Government will help Yuvraj: Sports minister - Feb 06, 2012
- Yuvi returns in blaze of flashlights - and good wishes - Apr 09, 2012
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- I only thought of saving my life: Yuvraj Singh - Sep 05, 2012
- Yuvraj will resume training in 10 weeks: Doctor (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Yuvraj, Dravid nominated for Arjuna and Khel Ratna - Jul 07, 2012
- Cancer over, Yuvraj enthrals his fans - Sep 11, 2012
- Yuvraj will be fight it out, says father (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Yuvraj Singh released from hospital - Mar 20, 2012
- Yuvraj restless before T20 match - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: allotment, chandigarh, chemotherapy, cricket world cup, cricketer, enquiring, germ cell cancer, modalities, parkash singh badal, principal secretary, punjab chief minister, punjab government, rare cancer, shabnam, southpaw, speedy recovery, sports academy, wednesday morning, world class sports, yuvraj singh