Punjab Gold Cup: Netherlands beat Kiwis to enter finalsFebruary 6th, 2009 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 6 (IANS) European champions The Netherlands outplayed New Zealand 4-1 in the Punjab Gold Cup hockey to reach the finals of the four-nation tournament at the Sector 42 hockey stadium here Friday.Rob Teckers (24th minute), Lucas Judge (31st), Wouter Jolie (41st) and Jeroen Hertzberger (69th) scored for The Netherlands while New Zealand’s only goal came from Nick Haig (63rd).
The Netherlands clearly dominated the Black Sticks and led 2-0 in the first half.
The Dutch team took the lead when Reckers sounded the board. Seven minutes later, Judge converted a penalty corner for a 2-0 lead.
New Zealand pulled up their socks in the beginning of the second half when striker Simon Child moved single-handedly, dribbling the ball into the opponent’s corner but could not give the finishing touch.
Wouter Jolie put the Dutch in a comfortable position by converting a penalty corner in the 41st minute.
Kiwi defender Haig scored the consolation goal through a penalty corner in the 63rd minute.
In the dying moments of the game, Hertzberger increased the lead of the Dutch team to 4-1 when he intercepted a long pass and hit it into the Kiwi goal.
- Punjab Gold Cup: India go down to Germany, Netherlands in final (Lead) - Feb 06, 2009
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat Pakistan 6-1, NZ hold Netherlands 3-3 - Dec 06, 2011
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- Champions Trophy: Spain to meet Australia in final - Dec 10, 2011
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- Hockey World Cup: Germany strikes form, Dutch unstoppable (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2010
- Germany, Netherlands play exhilarating draw, four teams in semis race (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2010
- India beat Kiwis in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 08, 2011
- Korea in danger of missing World Cup semi-finals - Mar 06, 2010
- Netherlands scorch Canada with post-breather goals (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- Olympics hockey: India go down 2-3 to the Netherlands - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Win over New Zealand brings the Dutch closer to semi-final - Mar 04, 2010
- Netherlands decimate Canada 6-0 - Mar 05, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
Tags: black sticks, consolation, cup hockey, dutch team, european champions, finishing touch, gold cup, haig, hertzberger, hockey stadium, jeroen, kiwi, nation tournament, netherlands, new zealand, opponent, punjab, second half, socks, wouter