Punjab Gold Cup: India down New Zealand, Netherlands shock Germany (Lead)February 1st, 2009 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 31 (IANS) India started its Punjab Gold Cup hockey campaign with a 2-0 win over New Zealand while European winners the Netherlands shocked Olympic champions Germany by a similar margin on the opening day of the tournament here Saturday.Skipper Sandeep Singh and Shivendra Singh struck the winners as India did enough to run out New Zealand at the Sector 42 stadium. India earned three points.
India played attacking hockey and dominated the first half. They got their first penalty corner in the 10th minute, but failed to convert.
Rajpal and Arjun Hallapa showed good coordination in earning another penalty corner in the 18th minute. India took the lead with Sandeep scoring through the penalty corner push from Rajpal.
New Zealand began well in the second half and stepped up the gas. The Indians, however, thwarted the moves. In the 61st minute, India scored another goal with Sandeep scooping a ball to Shivender, who sounded the board.
India played with only 10 men for the last four minutes of the game as midfielder Vikram Pillay was shown the yellow card by the umpire in the 66th minute.
Indian origin Priyesh Bhana made his international debut for New Zealand in the match.
Later in the day, the resolute Dutch dominated the Germans and bagged three points with second-half goals from Lucas Judge and Jeroen Hertzberger.
The Netherlands dominated the game and hardly gave any chance to Germany. Judge broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute after being he found a precise pass from Roger Hofman.
The young German team came close to equalise in the 30th minute but the shot kissed the goalpost.
The Euro champions, meanwhile, continued their attacking game and Hertzberger converted a penalty corner to double the lead in the 62nd minute.
“I am satisfied with my boys’ performance in the match, but we could have won by a bigger margin if our players had maintained the momentum in the last moments of the game,” said Dutch coach Michel Heuvel.
- Punjab Gold Cup hockey: India beat New Zealand 2-0 - Jan 31, 2009
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat Pakistan 6-1, NZ hold Netherlands 3-3 - Dec 06, 2011
- India go down to Netherlands 3-6 in Hamburg Masters hockey - Jul 03, 2010
- Champions Trophy: Spain to meet Australia in final - Dec 10, 2011
- Netherlands beat India 2-1 to lift Punjab Gold Cup (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2009
- Hockey World Cup: Germany strikes form, Dutch unstoppable (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2010
- Asian Games hockey: Indian men beat Japan 3-2 - Nov 21, 2010
- India beat South Africa 6-5 in hockey Test - Jul 09, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- Win over New Zealand brings the Dutch closer to semi-final - Mar 04, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Hockey Olympic qualifier: Indian men close to reaching final; women in tight spot (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India go down 2-3 to the Netherlands - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG hockey: India crush Pakistan 7-4, face England in semis (Second Lead, superseeding earlier story) - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG hockey: India crush Pakistan 7-4, face Australia in semis (LEAD) - Oct 10, 2010
Tags: cup hockey, deadlock, four minutes, german team, goalpost, gold cup, hertzberger, hofman, indian origin, international debut, jeroen, midfielder, olympic champions, opening day, pillay, punjab, resolute, umpire, vikram, yellow card