Punjab CM Badal asks Maharashtra CM to arrest Baba Ram RahimJune 21st, 2008 - 12:23 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, June 21, (ANI): Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has demanded of the Maharashtra government to immediately arrest Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh over the killing of one person by his security guards last evening in Mumbai.
Talking to media persons at the Golden Temple, Badal said that he talked to Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and also the State Director General of Police about the incident, and conveyed his concern over the incident.
Terming the incident as tragic and shocking, Badal said that the responsible persons should be immediately arrested.
Meanwhile, three people have been arrested in connection with the killing of Balkar Singh, a Sikh who was protesting against the presence of Ram Rahim in Mumbai. Balkar was killed when members of the Dera Chief’s security convoy fired at the protestors in a mall here last night.
According to sources, the Sikh community here announced that the cremation of Balkar would not take place unless Baba Ram Rahim is arrested.
The Dera chief had gone to visit the Nirmal shopping complex in Mulund where members of the Sikh group were also present. An altercation ensued, followed by exchange of fire between the two groups.
Meanwhile, states Deputy Chief Minister RR Patil has ordered an inquiry into the incident. Several Sikh organizations have been staging protest in and outside Punjab against the Dera Chief and demanded his arrest.
A large number of Sikh protestors blocked Lal Bahadur Shastri road and the Eastern Express Highway following the incident.
The Dera chief had sparked a huge uproar by the Sikhs a few months back after he allegedly tried to imitate the dress and activities of the Guru Gobind Singh. He had tendered an apology, saying he had no intention of hurting the sentiments of the Sikhs, but the Sikh clerics had rejected his apology. (ANI)
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Punjab town curfew enters third day, relaxed briefly - Jan 04, 2011
- Security tight in Haryana following Sikh sect protest - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Sikhs intensify protest against Dera Sacha Sauda sect, block trains in Punjab - Jun 25, 2008
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Curfew continues for second day in Mansa district in Punjab - Jan 03, 2011
- CWG on Punjab terrorists, ISI radar: intelligence report - Jul 23, 2010
- Security tightened in Punjab following Dera Sacha Sauda protest - Mar 01, 2010
- Tension prevails in Dabwali (Update) - Jul 18, 2008
- Shiromani Akali Dals core committee meet today to discuss Mumbai clashes - Jun 23, 2008
- Sikhs take their ire against Ram Rahim Singh to streets - Jun 23, 2008
- Dera Sacha Sauda not allowed to hold congregation - Sep 03, 2009
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: amritsar, badal, balkar, deputy chief minister, deshmukh, eastern express, golden temple, guru gobind singh, lal bahadur shastri, maharashtra government, media persons, mulund, punjab chief minister, responsible persons, shopping complex, sikh community, sikh organizations, sikhs, state director, uproar