Pujara banking on de Villiers’ advice ahead of Windies tourMay 29th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 29 (IANS) Cheteshwar Pujara, eying a comeback into the Test side, is hoping that South Africa one-day skipper Ab de Villers’ advice will help him during India A tour of the West Indies.
Pujara will captain the side for the series beginning with the first unofficial Test in Barbados Saturday.
The 25-year-old batsman, who lost his place in the side following a knee injury last year, said his aim in the Caribbean would be to score runs and be in the reckoning for the Test spot vacated by the great Rahul Dravid.
“(RCB teammate) de Villiers gave me some good batting tips during the Indian Premier League (IPL). Since he has also toured there and is a world-class batsmen, I hope the advice would come in handy,” Pujara told reporters on the sidelines of India A training camp at the Ferozshah Kotla here Tuesday.
Talking about his comeback, Pujara said: “I don’t any feel pressure. It is a big motivation to play for India ‘A’ and captain the side. It is a given that any good performance at this level will be noticed. Most of us have played for ‘A’ team on overseas tours, so we go there with experience.”
Pujara played last of his three Tests in South Africa in January 2011. Though he impressed many at the start of his career, a knee surgery kept him out the game for a long time.
Asked whether his career is back to square one, Pujara said: “I won’t say that I am starting from scratch. After coming back from injury, I had played four Ranji matches as many in the Duleep Trophy. I also played a few matches for RCB during IPL.”
The Gujarat-born cricketer featured in three of the 16 matches for RCB in IPL-V.
The India A squad, which also includes Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan leaves Wednesday morning.
- West Indies tour helped me prepare for comeback: Pujara - Aug 23, 2012
- Kings XI wary of Gayle 'storm' in revenge game - May 02, 2012
- 'Last-gasp IPL thrillers stressful for players, spectators' - May 18, 2012
- Malinga's decision to play in lucrative IPL, but not Tests 'awkward': Duleep Mendis - Apr 21, 2011
- South Africa put India to bat at Durban - Dec 26, 2010
- Fans root for RCB as clouds hang over - May 02, 2012
- Yuvraj dropped, Pujara drafted in Indian Test squad (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- South Africa name unchanged Test squad for England series - Jun 13, 2012
- Rain gods play spoilsport with Bangalore fans - Apr 26, 2012
- Bollinger hopes IPL stint earns him Australia recall - Apr 10, 2012
- Du Plessis seeks IPL push to Proteas Test squad - Apr 11, 2012
- Royal Challengers, Knight Riders both upbeat ahead of clash - May 13, 2011
- Double blow for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double trouble for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Second Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Top stars should play in domestic cricket: Pujara - Dec 08, 2009
Tags: batsman, batting tips, day skipper, de villiers, duleep trophy, gujarat, knee injury, knee surgery, kotla, premier league, rahul dravid, ranji, shikhar dhawan, sidelines, starting from scratch, test side, unofficial test, villers, wednesday morning, west indies