Proud of US Olympic team’s hard work: ObamaAugust 5th, 2012 - 11:09 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 5 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has paid tribute to American sportspersons participating in the London Olympics and Paralympics for their hard work and sacrifice.
“We could not be prouder of the men and women representing our country in London, in both the Olympics and in the Paralympics,” Xinhua quoted him as saying in a radio address Saturday.
He said that he has watched the Olympic contests on swimming, women’s soccer, and the women’s gymnastics in which the US team recaptured the team gold. So far the US tops the chart with 24 gold medals, only one ahead of China.
“It’s not the medal count alone that inspires us — most of our athletes won’t claim a medal at all. It’s the character of the men and women who compete for those medals. It’s their hard work and sacrifice … It’s their dogged perseverance and unyielding determination, through disappointment and triumph alike,” Obama said.
The president praised the American Olympians for displaying the “American spirit”, which means “if we work hard, we can achieve our dreams”.
Obama said he was “a little jealous” of his wife, First Lady Michelle, who led the American delegation to London for the Olympic opening ceremony July 27.
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Putin envisions Russia as Paralympic powerhouse - Sep 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- US fighting childhood obesity with sports - May 15, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic gatecrasher now hogs limelight in virtual world (Olympic diary) - Aug 04, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Medvedev lauds 'courageous' Russian paralympians - Sep 11, 2012
- We should be proud of Indian Olympians: Abhishek - Aug 08, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympics of superstitions (Olympic diary) - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana government felicitates Asian Games athletes - Dec 22, 2010
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: american delegation, american spirit, barack obama, disappointment, dogged perseverance, first lady, gold medals, gymnastics, london olympics, medal count, men and women, olympians, olympic opening ceremony, olympic team, olympics, paralympics, radio address, t claim, team gold, xinhua