Proteas spinner Botha likely to face a stricter testApril 17th, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town (South Africa), Apr.17 (ANI): A meeting between the ICC and leading bio-mechanists last month could ensure a more difficult path for South African spinner Johan Botha to clear his name from chucking allegations.
Bruce Elliott, the University of Western Australia professor who last examined Botha’s action in 2006, said a bowler’s elbow flexion would no longer be assessed by taking an average reading over several overs, but rather on a one-strike-and-you’re-out basis.
“In the early days we would take a mean reading from a number of deliveries and determine whether it was over or under the legal limit, but now the situation is that a bowler is not allowed to bowl any balls that extend beyond the 15 degrees during testing,” Elliott told Cricinfo. “It wasn’t clearly written but we had a meeting with the ICC three weeks ago and it was all sorted out.”
Cricket South Africa has yet to announce where it will send Botha for testing, but it is likely he will again work with Elliott at the UWA.
Botha was twice tested at the facility in 2006 - the first resulting in his suspension from cricket, the second paving the way for a return - and must now be reassessed after umpires cited him for a suspect action after the fourth one-day international against Australia in Port Elizabeth on Monday. (ANI)
- Windies star Shillingford's bowling action found to be illegal - Dec 21, 2010
- ICC clears Snehal Pradhan's bowling action - Feb 08, 2012
- Proteas spinner Botha's action similar to Lanka's Murli, says Oz bio-mechanist - Apr 16, 2009
- Harbhajan has highly suspicious action, claims Hair - Aug 24, 2011
- Proteas say Botha is a key player for 20-20 World Cup - Apr 15, 2009
- ICC invests to detect illegal bowling action - Aug 27, 2012
- PCB to work on 'suspended' off-spinner Javeria Wadood's bowling action - Jul 07, 2010
- Botha cleared of suspected bowling action with a rider - May 12, 2009
- No demons in Kotla track - Feb 24, 2011
- Amla recalled to SA's Twenty20 squad - Dec 29, 2010
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
- Dilshan, Tendulkar and Gambhir all rise in ICC rankings - Apr 04, 2011
- CSA to release Botha from central contracts - Mar 31, 2012
- ICC clears Samuels' bowling action - Sep 29, 2011
- Kohli, Yuvraj record best ever figures in Port Elizabeth (Match highlights) - Jan 22, 2011