Probe sought into Kotla ground leaseApril 27th, 2010 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) Congress municipal councillor J.K. Sharma Tuesday asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Income Tax department to probe the lease of the Ferozeshah Kotla cricket ground after irregularities were found in the Indian Premier League (IPL) functioning. Sharma, who heads the opposition in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), also demanded that the lease of the national capital’s historical cricket ground Firozshah Kotla, which is maintained by the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA), be cancelled.
He said that instead the “MCD should take over the the Firozshah Kotla ground.”
“CBI or Income Tax department should audit the accounts of DDCA as it appears that a lot of illegal things are done in the shadow of IPL matches,” Sharma said.
He alleged that while the DDCA earned profit by organizing matches, it has not paid the government taxes.
“MCD last week issued a notice to DDCA regarding non-payment of arrears of property tax to the tune of Rs. 9.2 million upto March 2004. DDCA is not willing to pay taxes although no match can be organized without the help of the government machinery whether it is maintaining law and order or traffic management,” Sharma added.
- Court orders provisional use of Kotla for IPL matches (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Fans have tough time entering stadium - Feb 28, 2011
- Dissolve MCD, hold fresh polls: Congress - Jul 07, 2010
- DDCA rubbishes reports of black market in tickets - Nov 08, 2011
- DDCA sports committee restrained from functioning - May 13, 2011
- Gautam Gambhir fined for slow over rate - May 08, 2012
- Virat Kohli fined for RCB's slow over rate - May 18, 2012
- Traffic regulations for Saturday IPL match - Apr 22, 2011
- Daredevils opt to field against Pune Warriors - Apr 21, 2012
- Mumbai Indians opt to field against Daredevils - Apr 27, 2012
- ICC reinstates Kotla as an international cricket venue - Nov 23, 2010
- DDCA unhappy at the ICC using the word 'suspension' - Feb 11, 2010
- DDCA brings back Radhey Shyam as Kotla curator - Dec 29, 2009
- Kirti Azad on hunger strike against IPL's functioning - May 20, 2012
- Kirti Azad to fast against IPL - May 18, 2012
Tags: arrears, cbi, central bureau of investigation, ddca, district cricket association, government machinery, government taxes, ground lease, income tax department, ipl, irregularities, law and order, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, municipal councillor, New Delhi, opposition, premier league, property tax, traffic management