Prior denies challenging ‘annoying’ Siddle to a punch-up following dismissalDecember 21st, 2010 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Perth, Dec 21(ANI): England wicketkeeper Mathew Prior has denied reports that he had invited Australian fast bowler Peter Siddle to fight outside Perth’s WACA Ground.
The incident reportedly happened when Prior was bowled by Siddle in the first innings of the third Ashes Test, which England eventually lost by 267 runs.
The England wicketkeeper was given a foul-mouthed send-off by Siddle, but as he walked to the pavilion was heard to say: “Come with me… let’s have it right now … let’s go outside right now.”
However, the 28-year-old, in an article for the Independent, insisted that the reported stories were not true.
“Siddle had launched a short-pitched round-the-wicket attack. He got me out - luckily, maybe, as the ball trickled off my body on to the stumps, but out still. As I left he said something which annoyed me. It doesn’t matter what he said but once you have dismissed somebody you have done the job on them,” Prior wrote.
“There are not many boxing matches when a guy knocks someone out and then kicks him while he’s on the floor. That isn’t the way it works. I didn’t enjoy him getting me out, but I don’t think there was a need for him to say anything after that. Having said that I didn’t need to react in the way I did.”
“You might have seen a gesture followed by some words. What has been reported that I said is not true. I didn’t offer to take him into the car park or offer to fight him after the game. I didn’t say anything along those lines. I will stick by the way I play the game. I play it hard on the pitch but that’s where it stays,” he added. (ANI)
- Oz players crossed line in Perth Test: Flintoff - Dec 27, 2010
- Ponting expects his 'boys to play with emotion' - Dec 24, 2010
- Get over it, Siddle tells sore losing Poms - Dec 22, 2010
- Ex-Oz players says Siddle should play Perth Test - Dec 15, 2010
- India must clear cobwebs in mind and play fearless cricket: Ganguly - Jan 12, 2012
- We will be better prepared against Johnson: Pietersen - Dec 22, 2010
- Prior, Ashes rival Siddle to play for same team - Dec 23, 2010
- Pietersen branded 'smarta***' by Johnson - Dec 18, 2010
- Batting failures not helping India's cause: Yadav - Jan 14, 2012
- Oz provincial side selector says struggling Ponting should bat lower down - Dec 15, 2010
- Rumours of rifts in Indian team is rubbish, says Sehwag - Jan 12, 2012
- Prior calls on England to focus on their game in Australia - Nov 03, 2010
- Clarke must shape up as batsman or forget about Oz captaincy: Ian Chappell - Dec 21, 2010
- Pietersen unfazed by prospect of bouncy wicket for Boxing Day Ashes Test - Dec 23, 2010
- 'I've got what it takes to be an international bowler', says Tremlett - Dec 21, 2010