Pressure will be immense on Flintoff to play in IPL finalApril 22nd, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.22 (ANI): Having ensured a victory for the Chennai Super Kings against Bangalore’s Royal Challengers in the second edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), England all rounder Andrew Flintoff is likely to face pressure to return for the final should his franchise make it on May 24.
The pressure would be immense for a player of the stature of Flintoff or Pietersen to be given special dispensation to take part knowing that the final one-dayer against the West Indies is taking place on the same day, reports the Daily Express.
According to the tabloid, it is quite feasible, amid the intricate and delicate politics of global cricket, that the ECB would agree to send Flintoff back to the Chennai dressing room in preference to the England one.
“I don’t know what the situation would be if that happened. What I can say is that I have been hugely impressed with what I’ve found in the IPL: the standard of the cricket, the organisation of the tournament, the interaction of the players from different countries,” Flintoff was quoted, as saying.
IPL boss Lalit Modi also spoke in diplomatic fashion yesterday about the possibility of Flintoff or Pietersen returning for the semi-finals and final. (ANI)
- Kevin Pietersen retires from ODIs and T20s - May 31, 2012
- ECB shouldn't stop Flintoff from playing in IPL: Modi - Feb 26, 2009
- ECB tells Pietersen to stay away from Modi - Aug 11, 2010
- Morgan all set to replace Pietersen in England team - Mar 07, 2011
- England players finally cleared for IPL - Jan 23, 2009
- KP on collision course with ECB over 20-20 commitments - Jul 24, 2009
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Pietersen to leave World Cup early for hernia operation - Mar 07, 2011
- IPL auction: English cricketers to be most sought after - Oct 09, 2011
- Kevin Pietersen ruled out of World Cup - Mar 07, 2011
- McCullum inadvertently jeopardises Flintoff's IPL future - Sep 16, 2009
- Strauss, Pietersen on collision course over ECB central contracts - Oct 11, 2009
- Moores sacking came at the right time: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- Pietersen, ECB all set for collision on T20 riches - Jul 24, 2009
- Flintoff's decision to reject ECB contract will benefit Chennai Super Kings - Sep 18, 2009
Tags: andrew flintoff, challengers, cricket, daily express, dayer, dispensation, dressing room, ecb, franchise, interaction, may 24, modi, pietersen, preference, premier league, rounder, semi finals, stature, tabloid, west indies