Pressure on Super Kings (Preview)May 11th, 2012 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 11 (IANS) Having received a reprieve Thursday night at Jaipur with a slender but unconvincing four-wicket win over Rajasthan Royals, the Chennai Super Kings now face their biggest test yet when they face leaders Delhi Daredevils in an Indian Premier League (IPL) game here Saturday.
While Delhi are sitting pretty with 18 points from 12 games, the Super Kings are still precariously perched on 13 from as many outings with Royal Challengers Bangalore (13), Rajasthan (12) and Kings XI Punjab (12) entertaining realistic hopes of making the four-team play-offs.
As such, it is another high stakes game for the Super Kings who find themselves in an all too familiar position of having to win all their matches at the tail end of the league as was the case in previous seasons.
Inconsistency in their performance has cost the Super Kings dear and, with Daredevils flying high, the hosts face a herculean task to contain the mercurial visitors who boast probably the most devastating opening pair in skipper Virender Sehwag and Thursday’s centurion David Warner.
In fact, the duo actually show up the absence of comparable openers in the Super Kings ranks where South African Francois du Plessis, who missed Thursday’s game owing to illness, is the most consistent of the lot, but missing a solid partner at the top of the order.
Both Daredevils and Super Kings go into Saturday’s game in good heart, having won their respective previous game. However, the last time the two teams met, hosts Delhi made short work of Chennai who were dismissed for 110, a target that was achieved in the 14th over.
For sure, Delhi would be looking to retain their dominance over Chennai who in turn would want to avenge the defeat and thus pick up two valuable points that will take them closer to the play-offs.
Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni had pointed out the ability of the Super Kings to rise when the chips are down like they did at Jaipur when recovering from 84 for six to reach the winning target of 127. The home team will need to do much better Saturday if they hope to beat Delhi whose nine-wicket win over Deccan Chargers as they chased down a target of 188 underlined their batting might.
While the Super Kings are still in the process of identifying a settled eleven and combination, the Daredevils project a settled look despite the loss of Kevin Pietersen who left for England for the forthcoming Test series against the West Indies. His replacement, Warner, has more than filled the big man’s shoes while providing Delhi batting another dimension.
In sharp contrast, the Super Kings have scored only four half-centuries this season — three of them by du Plessis and the other by Subramaniam Badrinath — as against eight by Daredevils besides the centuries by Pietersen and Warner.
With South African fast bowler Morne Morkel in top form, Delhi also boast of an incisive attack, something that the Super Kings also have, but only on paper as their bowlers have been rather flat except on a couple of occasions.
Thus, man to man and as a team, Daredevils appear to hold all the aces while the Super Kings are under pressure to get their act together or be left out in the cold for the first time in five seasons.
- Super Kings start favourites against Daredevils (Preview) - May 24, 2012
- Advantage Super Kings against Kings XI Punjab - Apr 27, 2012
- Stakes high for Super Kings against Deccan Chargers - May 03, 2012
- Resurgent Super Kings to clash with Knight Riders (Preview) - May 13, 2012
- Battle of equals between Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals - Apr 20, 2012
- Daredevils elect to field against Super Kings - Apr 10, 2012
- Last ball win for Super Kings against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 21, 2012
- Easy win for Super Kings against Delhi Daredevils (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Super Kings will look to sustaining winning streak at home - May 17, 2011
- Must win game for Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals - May 09, 2012
- IPL final: Chennai Super Kings primed for hat-trick (Preview) - May 26, 2012
- Super Kings favourites against Rajasthan Royals - May 03, 2011
- Kings XI topple Super Kings in a thrilling finish (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Daredevils start IPL home run with big win over Super Kings (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Chennai should romp home against Delhi - May 11, 2011
Tags: centurion, challengers, chennai, daredevils, david warner, dhoni, francois du plessis, good heart, herculean task, inconsistency, ipl, jaipur, play offs, rajasthan, reprieve, sehwag, stakes game, target, team play, wicket