President, VP, PM congratulates Vijender Kumar for winning Bronze Medal at OlympicsAugust 22nd, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , August 22 (ANI): President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansariand Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday congratulated Vijender Kumar for capturing the bronze medal in the boxing middleweight 75 Kilograms division at the Beijing Olympics.
In her message the President said, Your achievement is praiseworthy not only because you have given India another medal at the Games, but also more so because you have pushed yourself to the limit in the true spirit of the Olympics, while being pitted against the best in the world.
Vice President Ansari noted that the bronze medal of Vijender Kumar is the outcome of his determination and sustained efforts. He expressed his hope that this first Olympic boxing medal would inspire many Indian boxers to emulate him.
The Prime Minister said in his message to Vijender Kumar, I congratulate you on winning the bronze medal in the 75 kg category boxing event in the Olympic. Your single minded devotion to excellence in your chosen field of sport has resulted in this achievement which makes the entire nation proud. I am confident that greater laurels await you in the future.
Vijender Kumar became the first ever-Indian boxer to win an Olympic medal. His performance also boosted India ‘’s tally in Beijing Olympics to three as shooter Abhinav Bindra won gold in 10m air rifle event and wrestler Sushil Kumar who bagged bronze. (ANI)
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Vijender congratulated for Olympic win - Aug 22, 2008
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- PM congratulates Olympic medallist Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Yeh dil maange more, says boxer Vijender - Jul 24, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012