President felicitates Olympic medal winnersAugust 18th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) President Pranab Mukherjee congratulated India’s Olympic medal winners at a felicitation ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhavan Saturday, hoping for a ‘medal spring’ at the next Olympics.
Speaking on the occasion, Mukherjee called for the creation of sports infrastructure across the country, nurturing of talent at grass root level and promotion of a sporting culture. He complimented the medal winners adding that those who did not win medals have also done India proud.
“I congratulate the Indian Contingent for their performance in London. Those who won medals deserve the highest of praise. But those who did not, also, deserve equal appreciation and encouragement,” said India’s 13th president.
He also said that compared to the medal drought of the past, six medals was a good harvest. However, a nation of 1.2 billion deserves a higher position than No.55 on the medals table.
“There is no time to rest on laurels. We must collectively lift our nation to greater heights. Let this be a moment when we re-dedicate ourselves to the building of India’s sporting future. Let us set our goals high and tell ourselves ‘Rio, here we come’. I am confident that nothing less than a ‘medal spring’ awaits us at the next Olympics,” said Mukherjee, talking about the next Olympics to be held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
The President presented commemorative plaques to the six medal winners: Sushil Kumar, Vijay Kumar, Gagan Narang, Saina Nehwal, MC Mary Kom and Yogeshwar Dutt.
- Medal will motivate me to bigger things: Saina Nehwal - Aug 17, 2012
- India's medal winners at London Olympics - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- India will aim at 25 medals in 2020 Olympics - Aug 16, 2012
- Lok Sabha congratulates Olympics medal winners - Aug 08, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Celebrations at Yogeshwar's home over medal - Aug 12, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- The unsung ones behind India's Olympic heroes - Aug 27, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- India's who's who tweet on Narang's feat - Jul 30, 2012
- Andhra announces Rs.50 lakh cash award for Gagan - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 13th president, commemorative plaques, contingent, encouragement, grass root level, infrastructure, kom, laurels, medal drought, medals, narang, New Delhi, olympic medal winners, olympics, pranab mukherjee, rashtrapati bhavan, rio de janeiro, sushil kumar, vijay kumar, yogeshwar