President congratulates Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav BindraAugust 11th, 2008 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 11 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil today congratulated Abhinav Bindra for winning the gold medal in the men’’s 10-metre air rifle event at the Beijing Olympic Games.
In her message, the President said, ” I am extremely delighted and proud to hear today that you have realized the dream of a billion of our people, by winning the Olympic gold medal in the 10-metre air rifle event in Beijing. Your achievement is even greater as not only has India won a gold medal at the Olympic Games after a very long gap of 28 years, but also because you have become the first ever Indian to win a gold medal at the Olympics in an individual event.
Your achievement today should inspire confidence amongst all Indian sportspersons that they can achieve the pinnacle of any sport at the international level. It should also be an inspiration for more of our youth to take up sports as a full time career,” the President added.
Bindra won the gold medal in men”’’s 10-meter air rifle event after earning a total of 700.5 points.
Earlier, Abhinav, who became the first Indian individual gold medallist at the Olympics, had qualified for the men”’’s 10m air rifle event finals. He finished the qualifying event joint fourth with Romania”’’s George Alin Moldoveanu after the duo shot a score of 596/600.
He scored a series of 100, 99, 100, 98,100 and 99 in the qualifiers. (ANI)
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- Vice President congratulates Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- It''s hard to describe how happy I am, says Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
- President, PM congratulate Abhinav Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
- Abhinav Bindra creates history, wins gold in 10m air rifle event at Olympics - Aug 11, 2008
- CWG: Indian shooters bag 2 golds, silver too in the kitty (Afternoon lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG shooting: India fire at gold twice from the range (Second Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Shooters, wrestlers bag 5 gold, 2 silver for India (Evening Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG shooting: Bindra, Narang win gold (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Bindra wins silver in Asian Airgun Championship - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: 10m air rifle, 28 years, abhinav bindra, alin, beijing, full time, gap, gold medal winner, gold medallist, inspiration, long gap, moldoveanu, New Delhi, olympic games, olympic gold medal, olympics, pinnacle, president pratibha patil, romania, time career