President congratulates Mary KomAugust 10th, 2012 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday congratulated Mary Kom on winning the bronze medal in women’s boxing at 2012 London Olympics.
“I am extremely delighted to know that you (Kom) have won the bronze medal in Women’s Boxing in the fly-weight 51kg at the London Olympics,” Mukherjee said in a statement.
“This is a great achievement and should inspire women as well sportspersons throughout the nation,” the statement read.
“I would like to extend to you (Kom) my congratulations and best wishes for further success,” it added.
Mary Kom created history by becoming the country’s first woman boxer to win a medal at the Olympics.
Mary Kom, however, Wednesday had to settle for the bronze as she went down fighting in her 51kg semi-final bout against local favourite Nicola Adams.
The 29-year-old Manipuri also became only the second Indian boxer after Vijender Singh to win an Olympic medal. Vijender got a bronze in Beijing fours years ago.
Buoyed by the presence of British Prime Minister David Cameron and star professional boxer Amir Khan, second-seed Nicola put on a flawless performance while beating the Indian 11-6 at the packed ExCel Arena.
- PM congratulates Olympic medallist Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Mary creates history, Devendro misses out (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom goes down fighting, takes bronze (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom settles for bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- Satisfied with my effort: Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Mary Kom moves closer to Olympic berth - May 15, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Will give my best for a bigger medal, says Mary Kom - Aug 06, 2012
- Mary Kom, Vijender a win away from medal (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic bronze not the end of my road: Mary Kom (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Lok Sabha hails Olympic medal winners - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, amir khan, beijing, best wishes, boxer amir khan, british prime minister, bronze medal, david cameron, final bout, first woman, flawless performance, kom, manipuri, minister david, New Delhi, olympic medal, olympics, pranab mukherjee, professional boxer, woman boxer