President and PM to skip National Games openingFebruary 11th, 2011 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 11 (IANS) The 34th National Games opening ceremony slated for Saturday will take place without the President, the Vice-President or the Prime Minister. Jharkhand Governor M.O.H.Farook will now inaugurate the Games.Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda had personally invited President Pratibha Patil. But the state government was informed that the president could not attend the ceremony due to busy schedule.
Munda also invited Vice-President M. Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the opening and closing ceremonies, but they also have conmveyed that they cannot make it due to prior commitments.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken will attend the opening ceremony.
According to reliable sources in the government, Maken has asked the organisers to make his sitting arrangements far away from Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi, who was sacked as the chairman of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee by the ministry on charges of corruption.
Kalmadi is in Ranchi for the last three days and he will be present at the opening ceremony of the Games.
The buzz in the government is that the prime minister preferred not to arrive for the opening ceremony because Kalmadi would be present in his capacity as the IOA chief. But the state government is still making efforts to ensure the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the Games closing ceremony slated for Feb 26.
The opening ceremony will take place Saturday evening at the main sports complex situated at Hotwar in Ranchi. Bollywood stars Amisha Patel and Sameera Reddy will perform at the opening ceremony. Sweta Tiwary will be the anchor and Slumdog Millionaires’ singer Sukhvinder Singh will croon to boost the players’ morale.
- 34th National Games promise to be a grand affair - Feb 11, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken gives National Games closing ceremony a miss - Feb 27, 2011
- Maken lauds court's decision on Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Jharkhand to invite president for National Games' opening - Jan 13, 2011
- Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi's London trip - Jul 15, 2012
- Glittering ceremony brings down curtain on National Games (Lead) - Feb 27, 2011
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Vivek, Ameesha jazz up 34th National Games' opening show (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Away from action, Kalmadi inspects National Games sites - Jan 24, 2011
- IOA executive board to meet May 24 - Apr 28, 2011
- Sports ministry wants Kalmadi's London visit aborted - Jul 13, 2012
- Sports ministry uncomfortable with Kalmadi back in IOA: Maken - Jan 24, 2012
- I Have every right to go to Olympics: Kalmadi - Jul 14, 2012
- Never had plans to attend opening ceremony: Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- IOA officials lambast Maken for seeking Kalmadi's removal - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: ajay maken, amisha patel, bollywood stars, commonwealth games, farook, hamid ansari, indian olympic association, ioa president, main sports, manmohan, manmohan singh, national games, opening ceremony, organising committee, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sameera reddy, sports complex, suresh kalmadi